Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arcadetown.com website

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased and downloaded a game called Ocean Range 2 from the Arcadetown.com website.

I noticed when playing the game, that occasionaly the game seemed to "freeze-up" for 10 seconds or so before resuming normally. Then, when playing the game yesterday, the "freeze-up time" became significantly longer. The game next suddenly throws me out (i.e re-directed back to my Desktop screen), where the display "winked out" for a couple of seconds and a FATAL ERROR WARNING box opened on the top left side of my screen. (During this time, ironically, I could still hear the audio portion of the game itself).

I immediately shut down my computer and rebooted. I do not know if this incident was the result of malware or some other corruption of the game itself, but I have deleted the game and all files related to it off my system. Please note: After deleting the game, I ran full scans with Malwarebytes first, then with my McAfee AV software. No suspicious items were found.
In what little info I have been able to find on the Internet, some of it states that the Arcadetown.com site is known to have had problems with malware; other info states the site is safe.

My 2 questions to the community are these: IS the Arcadetown.com website (and its downloadable, paid games) REALLY safe? Are there any website sources which provide detailed information as to the safety of websites selling PC games for download?

Thank you for your time and any information! :mellow:

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users