Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Recovery Virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Will L

Will L

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hi again guys,

Seems I end up coming back here every few months at the moment. I've caught a virus calling itself 'Windows Vista Recovery'. As with most of the viruses I seem to catch, it deleted the useful icons from my desktop (computer, control panel etc) and hid the rest of the files.

I'm running Vista 64 Home Premium.

I've run rkill, mbam, avira antivir and spybot. However, my quicklaunch icons and start menu programs are still hidden even after using unhide.exe. The admin tools folder on the start menu is also empty.

I don't appear to have any system restore points either, which is very annoying.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me with this. Also, assuming I can clear this up and get my PC back to normal, can anyone recommend an antivirus that isn't rubbish? I caught this virus after looking at some rather innocuous pictures on a google image search, and Avira Antivir let it through even though I manually updated it this morning.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Will L, 22 May 2011 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users