Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering Files From One Computer To Another

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bowlon

bowlon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:30 PM

Got a new computer for my wife on christmas. A dell with windows xp. I want to transfer some files from her old computer with windows 2000. Plug her hard drive into the ribbon cable inside the dell and do the master and slave thing? Or are there easy and or other ways to do this. Thanks Hope I have enough information-first post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

It depends on how many files you want to transfer, and what their sizes are...

When i transfered files from my old box to my new box, i just used a USB thumb drive and ran back and forth between the 2 computers in the same room. I was lucky enough to not have any file above 512mb, so it was fairly simple to just transfer them using that medium. Took me all of 20 minutes with no hardware modifications or mishaps.

Other possibilities are Floppy Discs, Cd's (if you have a CD burner in the old box), FTP sites (where you upload the files to the internet so that they are able to be downloaded to another computer), or e-mailing files to yourself.

However, if you still want to go with the hard-drive slaving thing, you're gonna have to ask someone else.... i have no clue how to go about that, as i try to keep it as simple as possible.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 05 January 2006 - 12:07 AM.

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:00 AM

Are u using the old harddisk for the old PC? or u intend to just add on the old hard disk to your Dell?

Its not really tedious to plug out n make it as slave in your Dell but is there wrranty issue?... Are u able to open up your Dell Pc without affecting the warranty sticker(if there is). :thumbsup:

Moreover, if you just need to transfer a few files, u can use a medium like USB memory stick or external portable hard drives....all these would make your job easier. :flowers:

Choose anyone of it .......
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:38 AM

:thumbsup: to BC bowlon,

If both computers have an ethernet port (the new one will for sure) you could buy a Cat5e "cross-over" cable and network them. Turn on file and printer sharing and share the folders you want to copy on the Win 2000 machine. Then you can access them from the XP computer and drag'n'drop the files into the folders where you want to put them.

XP has a wizard to help you transfer files and settings from an old computer if you want settings as well as documents - see the help.

Having said that, if the process is likely to be brief then using a USB flash drive as suggested before would be by far the simplest way.

hth :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 January 2006 - 03:39 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 bowlon

bowlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Thank you Heretic, zener and rimmer. Good info. I thought there would be several ways to transfer the files. I think I will use the USB flash drive. Thanks again

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

If I may. I believe Heretic Monkey had the better of the suggestions. Burning to CD the transferring would ouble as a backup incase of HD failure later on.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users