Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to format C: drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zaindy

zaindy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

My system got infected with some kind of virus, which severely slowed down the PC and caused me a lot of frustration. So I simply installed Win 7 on my H: drive. Now I want to completely format the C: drive, the location of the previous Win 7 install. During the install itself, for some reason there was no option to format the C: drive and re-install the windows there. And now that I'm trying to format C: drive, I get an error message: 'Windows was unable to complete the format'.

How can I wipe clean the C: drive and keep it for general use, with the Win7 now on my H: drive? I'd appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

DId you boot to the W7 dvd or did you start the install from within Winidows?

#3 zaindy

zaindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

I started the install from within windows.

#4 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

Backup any necessary data, boot with your Windows 7 CD and format both of the drives. Then install Windows 7 fresh to your primary harddrive.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

I started the install from within windows.

Okay, you can't do that. You need to boot to the Windows 7 DVD. You will then be given the option to format before installing. Choose that option, format all drives, and install to C: drive. Be sure to backup any key data first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users