Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc, browsers and programs crashing alot!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Quinnjdq

Quinnjdq

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

I have been recently having a major problem with my computer, It started as my Firefox and Google chrome crashing pretty often and my pc blue screening then restarting instantly with the error "award bootblock bios v1.0 bios rom checksum error detecting floppy drive a media... drive A error system halt". Ive reformatted my hard drive twice and both time it has continued to happen. Ive checked my Hard drive to see if it was over heating, Its not. Ive checked CPU! From what Ive read it might be my bios but i don't want to flash it with out some one else's opinion.

Here are my specs:
Cpu: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT
Ram: 2gb DDR2
Motherboard: Foxconn M61PMV AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

I would interpret that error message as...indicative that your CMOS battery needs to be replaced. Weakening CMOS batteries seem to result in strange error messages about the hardware configuration, in my experience.

Drive A refers to the floppy drive, not the hard drive.

I never advise anyone to do a BIOS update...unless such provides new capability to the system. I don't think such is your situation.

Louis

#3 Quinnjdq

Quinnjdq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Thank you hamluis i will try to get a new CMOS, the blue screening and browser crashing is getting annoying.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

CMOS batteries are available at any place selling photo/electronic batteries, including WalMart, KMart, etc.

CR 2032 is the type.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp , ignore any suggestion to write down settings.

Louis

#5 Quinnjdq

Quinnjdq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Do i just put it in and im done or what?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

Replace the battery...go into BIOS...elect default settings...save settings by hitting F10...system reboots automatically.

Of course...replacement of battery is done with system off.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users