Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected but Intermittent Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mak579

Mak579

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hi Guys,

There was a period when this pc had limited virus protection hence I'm posting here even though the pc appears to be clean.

History - My loving wife informs me that her pc no longer connects to the internet. My first actions were to eliminate all unneccesary applications (including IE toolbars) and then install malwarebytes and avast. Malwarebytes discovered one item ("double click" something) which was removed but subsequent full scans reveal all is well.

We can connect to the home wireless network, signal strength Excellent, ip , dns, gateway address and all appears ok (ipconfig).
(The wireless connection is appears as always healthy)

When connecting to the internet it times out. Network diagnostics can repair the connection but only briefly for about 30 seconds.
(Attempted Internet connection via IE8 and ping commands)

I can simulate this repair by cmd prompt ipconfig flush dns, release, renew etc but once again it only repairs briefly. Have also run PC in safe networking mode with the same result. Reset IE to defaults etc but still no luck. Updated Atheros AR5005G Wireless Adapter driver to 5.3.0.67 but still no luck.

My laptop has no problems with our home network or internet access so I'm confident the issue is within the acer laptop.

Problem laptop details:
PC ACER Aspire 5100
OS XP Sp3
IE8

Any assistance greatly appreciated,
Matt C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

Are you able to access resources on the local network (ie. computers, the router, etc)? Are there manual DNS settings that may have been erased?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users