Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion p6710f

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sunspot

sunspot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

I just bought a new HP Pavilion. It came with Windows 7. I brought it home put it all together and transfered my files ect to it.I had a folder of pictures i had been using on my last one for a screensaver so i went into the controls and put that folder in as my screensaver. It used my pictures but had this totaly cool borders, textures and also it sometimes did them all in black and white then would have them transitioning in and out at different sides. It started with one picture and added them onto each other until there were four .ect. Does anyone know what this program is? Somehow i reset it and now i can't get it back. I don't know if its a HP thing or Windows 7 thing. It came with this computer because i never had anything like it before. I don't know where to start to get it back. thanking you ahead for any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

What is the OS on your other computer.
Were the pictures used with a default screensaver on that computer or have you previously used third party screensavers.

Edited by petewills , 24 May 2011 - 01:14 PM.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Check your old system to see what the screen saver is set to.
It might be a third party app.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 sunspot

sunspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

The os on the old computer was windows xp but all the pictures were ones i had taken with my camera and put into a folder i neamed screensaver pictures. So when I got the new computer i simply used the browse feature under screensaver settings and used those photos from that file. This program I'm talking about used my pictures but had special effects like two or three photos on a page, nice borders and designs around them, flipping in and out, fading in and out black and white and zooming in and out. Then when i went into the personalization settings and used one of hp's wallpapers and set up a theme it stopped doing it. The only thing i can think is i reset something unintentionally. There are choices of which program to use for the screensaver one is just photos one is windows live photo gallery and there is hp photosmart. I'm really at a loss because this program started before i started messing with the personalizations so i had to think it was a hp thing being that i hadn't done anything yet. Thanks for all thoughts about this. Guess i might just have to get a program to do my own thing.Any ideas about good ones to buy? oh, i also looked in the installed programs section on this computer but found nothing specific as to that type of program thanks again. also, cking my old computer isn't an option because it's pretty much toast! thats why i got a new one. it overheats and shuts off so i haven't restarted it since i had all my stuff on an external hard drive to transfer.

Edited by sunspot, 24 May 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

So you chose a Win 7 screensaver to use with your pictures, OK.

You could do with assistance from a regular Win 7 user, (obviously), but one or two basic things come to mind.

Can you reset your themes to the default theme and check the Photo Screensaver again.

"Note: Themes work a little differently in Windows 7. Whenever you change the theme, the new theme's settings will be applied to your desktop, including the screen saver. In some cases, the new theme might change your screen saver setting to None, and you'll need to reapply the screen saver settings you want."

It's probably too soon to think that the screensaver file (Photoscreensaver.scr) has been corrupted.
This is located in Windows\System32. If you can find another copy (probably in C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup
rename the original in System32 to Photoscreensaver.scr.old and copy the file from Backup to System32.

I reboot after any changes, whether or not it's strictly necessary.

I've always avoided 3rd party screensaver programs, others may have opinions for you.

Edited by petewills , 24 May 2011 - 11:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users