Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not genuine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wanda 113

Wanda 113

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

I keep getting a pop up window that states my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine. It was preloaded on my laptop when I purchased it. How do I get rid of this?
Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

If you bought it from ebay or refurbished or a friend or someone they may have installed a non-genuine operating system without a valid license key.

#3 Wanda 113

Wanda 113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

I bought my laptop new at walMart. Windows 7 was preloaded and I did not get a disk with it.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

go start/right click on Computer,go properties ,maximize the screen that pops up ,what does it say about you windows being genuine there !

if it not genuine there you can call microsoft to help fix it .

go to start and in the search box type in
slui.exe 4 note there is a space between exe and 4 , double click the file that shows ,pick your country and call microsoft

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

May relate, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008385 .

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-build-7600-this-copy-of-windows-is-not/05ed572a-9795-4c62-9a68-d314e681e274

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/dba32213-1108-440b-8144-f67bfcf9a7a5

Louis

#6 ESO-vabha

ESO-vabha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

Step 1 : Open Elevated command prompt(Right click on Cmd icon and Run as Admin..)
Step 2 : Type Command cscript.exe slmgr.vbs -rearm (This will reset the Windows Activation Status)
Step 3 : Reboot and Attempt to Reactivate using the same product key or Phone Activation (slui 4)
Run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic (MGADIAG) tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012)
Important "Check the result of the Diagnostic Scan and Collect the Error Code"

Else try the following steps:

1) Click the Start button
2) Type: CMD.exe in the start search field
3) Right -Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
4) Type: net stop sppsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
7) Type: slui
8) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You likely be asked to re-enter your product key and/or re-activate.

Even if this doesn't solve your problem i would suggest you to do a Repair Inplace Upgrade.

Collecting Error Code or Error Log is very important..

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Most informative and useful post, TYVM.

#8 Wanda 113

Wanda 113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thanks to all who have responded to my problem. I think I finally got it activated by phone. It now states Windows is Genuine.

#9 Wanda 113

Wanda 113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Welll - I guess I spoke too soon! I was able to activate Windows and it states that it is Windows Genuine. But, I am still getting the pop up screen that states Windows is not Genuine. How do I get rid of the pop up screen?

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

......I was able to activate Windows.... I am still getting the pop up screen that states Windows is not Genuine. How do I get rid of the pop up screen?

>>>...Important "Check the result of the Diagnostic Scan and Collect the Error Code"<<<
>>>...Collecting Error Code or Error Log is very important..<<<

Did you do the things suggested by @Microsoft-Partner & the links provided by @Hamluis? Seems a good place to start IMO.

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 May 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#11 Wanda 113

Wanda 113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I ran the diagnostic scan but I didn't see any error code. what do I do with the Error Log? Also how do I do a Repair Inplace Upgrade?
I am only a user not a techie so please bear with me.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

>>I ran the diagnostic scan but I didn't see any error code. what do I do with the Error Log? Also how do I do a Repair Inplace Upgrade?
I am only a user not a techie so please bear with me.
<<

You might want to post some details, starting with your system manufacturer and model, (Dell, Gateway, Toshiba...etc and which model) which OS you're running (Win 7 Home, Pro, Starter, Ultimate...etc...)

Is there anything new or different which may have coincided with this problem? (new hardware, software, sevice pack...etc...) IIRC, the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic (MGADIAG) tool gives the option to copy all of it's output---if you can paste it into your next reply, it may give someone here who is skilled at reading these things, like Louis or the Microsoft guy some badly needed clues...this shotgun approach is not gonna work, IMHO...

I'm just like you describe urself--not a techie and as such, I can't really help much more unless you supply much needed info/details/error codes...etc.:blink:

One other thing is very important for any helpers who may stop by here to know--do you have (or can you obtain/borrow) a VALID Windows 7 INSTALLATION DVD (I think you need the same version as you have installed, not sure though--also I believe it needs to be a retail ver not OEM) not a sytem repair/OEM Windows 7 Factory Restore/Recovery type of disc that came with or you created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with-- AND a VALID license key?

Everything (almost) you ever wanted to know about Win 7 Repair Install/ Inplace Upgrade: How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 May 2011 - 09:36 PM.

#13 chaithere

chaithere

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

Step 1 : Open Elevated command prompt(Right click on Cmd icon and Run as Admin..)
Step 2 : Type Command cscript.exe slmgr.vbs -rearm (This will reset the Windows Activation Status)
Step 3 : Reboot and Attempt to Reactivate using the same product key or Phone Activation (slui 4)
Run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic (MGADIAG) tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012)
Important "Check the result of the Diagnostic Scan and Collect the Error Code"

Else try the following steps:

1) Click the Start button
2) Type: CMD.exe in the start search field
3) Right -Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
4) Type: net stop sppsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
7) Type: slui
8) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You likely be asked to re-enter your product key and/or re-activate.

Even if this doesn't solve your problem i would suggest you to do a Repair Inplace Upgrade.

Collecting Error Code or Error Log is very important..

thank you thank you thank you!!!! I have been trying every solution I could find with no luck- until this one! I was able to run the cscript.exe slmgr.vbs -rearm

It Worked!!!!! I am running an Acer Netbook with Windows 7 starter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users