Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not booting up

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 grg.clny

grg.clny

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

I have a Dell XPS 400 with Windows XP Media Center Edition installed. The PC has been in service since November of 2005.
Sometimes when I have started it up the blue screen has come on telling me of some kind of error. I have been able to restart it
and have it work fine with no problems. Today I pushed the power button and the lights on the front come on, but I get nothing from the monitor.
Two lights by the USB ports are on and the light on the top disc drive is on. The PC also makes a low buzzing sound off and on.
I am not a computer tech but I have used bleeping computer many times to fix my computer troubles. I have had this PC open in the past to clean and remove dust. I am not worried about losing anything on this computer as I have the good stuff saved on an external drive. The only thing I am worried
about is I have Windows Office 2007 installed and I wonder if I can reinstalled it in my back up PC which is newer. I have the Windows Office install
disc and product key codes. Wondering what I should do with this computer and what I can do with Office software.
I also have a digital voltmeter. I have worked on electronics, but not computers. I don't know what I am looking for. Thanks for any help and advice you may have.

Edited by grg.clny, 22 May 2011 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

from what i have read it seems ok to install office 2007 on up to 3 machines for non-commercial use.
http://www.utheguru.com/can-you-use-microsoft-office-2007-on-more-than-one-computer.

your boot issue could be anything from what you have told us.
the light on the disk drive should not stay on. is there a disk in there ? fouling up the boot ?

if machine will not POST you will have to start unplugging things to see if it will POST.
try unplugging the hard drive and CD drive.
normally if a machine will not POST it is either the CPU, RAM, or motherboard.

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

--stands for Power On Self Test

If you have the disks, and PKC's (product key codes)available for your Office 2007...no worries! If your information is already backed up as well, then as stated above check your hardware piece by piece.

The buzzing noise you may hear could be your system or CPU fan. I don't think it's the RAM, as you would hear a loud beeping when you press the power button.

A fail safe test of your hard drive is to remove it from the computer tower, then plug it into another computer as a "slave" drive. See if you have access to it then.

Odd things start to happen if your CMOS battery is low as well.

hope this helps!

#4 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Here is an update on what is going on. I did disconnect both CD drives and the Hard drive. I had the PC open and I can see a yellow LED on the main board. I heard about 5 low beeps coming from a sounder on the circuit board. The monitor never came on. I know the monitor is OK it works fine with this PC. I am guessing the CMOS battery is the Lithium 3volt on the main board. I guess I can get one at Radio Schack. If I can connect the Hard Drive into my working PC is there anything I need to know to see if it works? I have never done this before. Thanks.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hi again...first take a look at the dell support page for your machine.
Those beeps are codes that tell you something.

Keep in mind, you need to take care when the cover is off and the machine plugged in and/or running. Static electricity is dangerous for your machine (and you!!).

Check all the other hardware before taking the hard drive out of the tower. Make sure all connections to the devices are tight. Translate the beeps you hear and lights you see using the link above.

Your CMOS battery is basically a watch battery...typically a CR2032, but check to make sure of the model number on the battery. Check the proper methods for changing the battery before trying this!

If you want to remove the hard drive and "piggy back" it on another machine, you'll need to read the label on the drive itself. There is a very small "jumper" on the same side as the connections that may have to be moved to make the drive a "slave" drive. DO NOT lose the jumper(s)!! They are very small, and you'll need them when changing the drives back again.

Also, on your working computer, that hard drive may also need to be configured as a master with a slave present. Then the drive can be added to the working computer. Most drives have different jumper settings, so read the labels! If you can't read them, check the manufacturer websites of the drives for information on jumper settings.

Make sure all the jumpers are set back the way they were to replace the drives back in their original machines.

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 25 May 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#6 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

I replaced the CMOS battery and nothing changed. When I press power I here two beeps pause, two beeps pause, two beeps pause, two beeps pause. I don't see anything that matches the Dell support page?
There is a single LED and it stays on when the power cord is connected and does not change.

I am going to try and install the hard drive in a working computer. The drive I am removing is a DiamondMax 10 Maxtor 6L16OMO. I don't see any jumpers on the drive.
I can see two pins where the jumper might be, but it is NOT there. The drive on the working computer is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10.
It has four pins with a jumper connected two pins. I am searching online for jumper settings. When I am on the Seagate Website, I click on the Data Sheet and I cannot see anything but a black page. The screen flashed some kind of PDF error and I can't get it to come back up to read it?
Will I hurt anything if I turn on the PC without changing the jumpers or will it just not work?

Edited by grg.clny, 05 June 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#7 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hi again,

As for the PDF error you are getting, that could be caused by you not having Adobe Reader installed and up to date. Here is the Adobe download. This should enable you to read PDF files with no problem.

The beeps on the other hand, may mean different things. Are the beeps short, quick beeps...then pause...then more short, quick beeps? Or are the beeps long?

I would verify you have all your connections tight, including the RAM cards on the motherboard, and try powering on again.

And as for piggy-backing your hard drive (HDD), you won't hurt anything if the jumpers are not set correctly, it just won't work. Make sure of the types of drives in your two computers are the same configuration. By this I mean, your sick computer HDD must have the same type of connections as your clean computer HDD. Do the connections look identical on both HDD's? The four pin power connector, the ribbon cables...and the jumper pins in-between them?

SATA drives are not compatible with IDE drives, and the piggy-back will not work in this case.

bloopie

EDIT: The LED on the motherboard is not the one you need to be concerned with, it's the light on the front of the machine near the power button you want to watch.

Edited by bloopie reborn, 05 June 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#8 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

I was going to move the hard drive to another computer, but I thought I would give it one more try.
I unplugged some connections and then plugged them back in. There were two long narrow cards on the motherboard that I reinstalled.
They were not the audio or video cards. I also cleaned the inside with a can of air. I had already replaced the CMOS Battery.
I pressed power and the setup option came on. I pressed F2 and I did reset the time and date. I did not know what else to change. I did see the option to reset everything back to the factory default but I did NOT do that. I exited setup and system started up again.
This time the screen shows: Floppy Diskette Failure. Press F1 to continue or F2 for Setup. I did notice the numbered lights on the front.
Lights 1,2,3 are ON. From looking at the DELL page "Another failure has occurred."
I don't have a floppy diskette but I do have two CD drives. Not sure if I need to change something in the BIOS settings. I am glad that the monitor is finally working so I may be able to diagnose what is going on.

I pressed F1 and started up my computer. When I go to my computer I can see my hard drive and two CD drives. Now it shows a Floppy drive which I do not have? Strange. I am updated my virus protection and doing a Windows update.
Wondering what my next step should be?

Edited by grg.clny, 05 June 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#9 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hi again,

The two long, narrow cards on your motherboard are your RAM cards. Make sure they are properly seated before rebooting (you should hear a "snap" when the cards are clicked in and fully seated). Your video and sound cards will be near the back of the machine. There are probably several long, narrow connections near the back of the machine seen here
These slots are where your sound and video cards would be placed.

After checking all your connections, are you able to boot into normal mode?

bloopie

#10 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

When I press power the screen shows:
Floppy Diskette Failure. Press F1 to continue or F2 for Setup

I pressed F1. When I go to my computer I can see my hard drive and two CD drives. I also see a floppy drive which I do NOT have.
After replacing the CMOS battery I did go to the Bios and reset the time and date.
I also noticed that I cannot get any audio out of my sound card. I checked the speaker out and headphone out. I get nothing.
I did verify that my headphones and speakers are working. The audio speaker was not muted and the volume was turned all the way up.
I am getting closer to having this PC working. I was able to update the Windows software and virus protection.

Edited by grg.clny, 06 June 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#11 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Okay, as for the Floppy drive that you do not have...make absolutely certain that you DO NOT have a drive for floppy disks on your machine!

If you do not have a floppy drive installed, this may be a BIOS setting that you can change to tell the operating system to not look there on bootup. I will have to retrieve the proper way to do this as I am unsure of your BIOS version.

Now may be a good time to post a speccy screenshot for our review. Download speccy from here.

And follow the instructions on how to post a screenshot. Please try and catch the screen with the unknown Floppy Disk Drive, as well as the formal speccy.

Please also let us know what version of BIOS you are using.

bloopie

#12 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

I checked the BIOS.
System: Dell DXP051
Bios Version: A00

I am going to attach two files. One is a screen shot of the PC drives and one is the Speccy. Hopefully this will work.

I am getting some static noise from my sound card. I am going to remove it and reinstalled it again.

Edited by grg.clny, 07 June 2011 - 06:39 AM.

#13 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:39 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hi again, good work!

Just a couple of questions...how is your computer running now in normal mode? Are there any problems using programs?

Also, in reference to the top of post #13, what does the screen show when you double-click the 3 1/2 inch floppy (A:) drive icon?

And about the static you hear, after reinstalling your sound card, you should find the correct drivers for it from the manufacturer's website, and install them. Any problems with that, please let us know the specs of your soundcard.

bloopie

#15 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:41 AM

When I double click on the floppy drive I get this message:

Posted Image

I do not have a floppy drive.

My computer is running OK. I am using right now. I don't know what other maintenance I should do.
When I play music I am still getting static after reinstalling my sound card.
The card is a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, I don't know where to get the correct driver for this.
Will I need to uninstall the current software I have for my sound card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users