Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Navigation Pane Item Order?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

When I open Windows Explorer, on the left side navigation pane I have:

Favorites

Libraries

Homegroup

Computer

Network

Since I navigate to other drives much more often than I use Libraries, I'd like to put Computer at the top. However attempts to drag & drop to change positions produce no joy.

Is there a way I can remove then restore to change the order? Or maybe edit the Registry to shift the order? To me Homegroup should be way at the bottom and Computer should be at the top.

Anyone know the secret?

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

I'm pretty sure, you can't change that order.
You can hide some items though.
The easiest way would be to use 3rd party tool, such as this one: http://www.door2windows.com/windows-7-navigation-pane-customizer-show-hide-rename-items-in-windows-explorer-navigation-pane/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the response. I was just coming back to post about that utility. I just ran it and it's the next best thing. I have Libraries collapsed, then Computer expanded. It's a bit of a pain(pun intended) but you can click another drive, then right click and Open In New Window, then go to the previous window and hit the Back Arrow. Now you have 2 windows for drag & drop.

Those are the only 2 I have in the pane. That way Computer isn't pushed down requiring a vertical scroll.

Edited by MilesAhead, 21 May 2011 - 08:18 PM.

- Groucho Marx

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

I'm glad to see you little bit more happy :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I've been writing a lot of little gizmos to use with Explorer. The one I use most remembers recent folders. Instead of relying on that I think I'll just write a dedicated program to open sets of 4 folders I use all the time. I keep trying Q-Dir and it seems like it should be cool. 4 qudrants with a folder in each. Seems like every time I try running concurrent tasks it gets hinky though. Things bog.

The trouble with file managers is they come up kind of slowly. To leave one open all the time seems like overkill. So I tend to use Explorer drag & drop even with the inconveniences.

One of the gotcha's is when I'm editing and trying the script it's the tool I use to open folders, so since it's not running I end up using other stuff to do it. Ironic. :)

Edited by MilesAhead, 21 May 2011 - 09:30 PM.

- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users