Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New problem after removal of Windows XP Recovery virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 process8

process8

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

I had a feeling it was too easy.

I (thought I) successfully removed that rather nasty Windows XP Recovery virus. Please keep in mind that I used "unhide.exe" as part of the process.

Today I went to "All Programs" on the start menu and the programs folders are listed/visible but when the pointer is put on them the extensiona all say "empty."

For example, in the "All Programs" part of the Start menu, when I put the pointer on "Accesories" the next extension opens and lists; "Accesibility, Communications, Entertainment and System Tools" folders.

But when I put the pointer on the "System Tools" folder for example, the next extension pops up but says (Empty).

I believe the "missing" programs are there, just hidden. I have Avast! up and running but when I put the pointer on the Avast! folder it shows (Empty).

Is this fixable?

Edited by process8, 21 May 2011 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

At last count 110 people read this which means about 109 folks smarter than I am saw it.

I'm starting to fear that there is no solution to this but no one wants to give me the bad news.

Edited by process8, 22 May 2011 - 08:39 AM.

#3 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Here are some more clues concerning this debacle:

I used to keep a "Google Earth" icon on my desktop. It's gone now.

So when I do a search for "Google Earth" I find a million folders and files with the name.

One of these folders is found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs. And the folder shows as (Empty).

It shows 5/20/2011 11:54 AM date modified.
And this is when I got hit by this Windows XP Recovery plauge.

But, I also found an application file, C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client, that when clicked on brings up Google Earth and it functions normally.

What do you think? Is this helpful to a diagnosis?

Edited by process8, 22 May 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#4 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

Another "clue":

I did a search for "System Restore" and found it in a backup file.

I opened it and tried to use it.

But it didn't work. No restore points.

I think all my restore points are gone.

But maybe not. I'll keep trying.

Edited by process8, 22 May 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#5 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

System Restore points aside, the fact that Avast shows up as (Empty) on the "All Programs" list but is up and running and appears in my Taskbar means that these programs, at least some of them are present.

How do I make them visible again so the show up on my "All Programs" list?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hello,

View count includes everyone that looks at a topic: folks looking for a solution to their computer problems, guests, and many others.

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 pigfoot

pigfoot

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have the same problem as this guy does. Why dont anyone give a straight answer on how to fix this. He gave you plenmty information on what is wrong.

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

pigfoot:

Please start your own topic to avoid confusion.

While process8 gave good information, removing malware and dealing with the aftermath is rarely simple and varies from case to case. This means that we need to deal with each case individually, and in depth analysis is often required.

process8: kindly follow Orange Blossom's instructions above.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users