Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Re: Desktop Icons On "per User" Basis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

This is a minor issue, but one of those rock-in-the-shoe things. When we got this machine with XP/Home on it, we set up 2 user profiles, one for me and one for hubby, since we have slightly different preferences. The "problem" or issue comes from installing new software that only one of us may care about - like my quilt design program - but the program icon occurs on both desktops. If I delete the shortcut from one desktop it removes it from both. There must be a way to have it show on one but not the other, but I can't find out how to do it. Or, am I looking for the impossible and I should just delete the icons and use the program menu for anything which only applies to me? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

Whenever you install a new program, and check to include desktop shortcuts, it ALWAYS puts the icon on all the windows identities.

The simplest thing to do is to delete the shortcuts it creates (or just choose not to place one on the desktop), then find the program in the start menu. After finding the desired program in the All Programs list, right click on the name, and select Send To... -> "Desktop (create shortcut)". This will create a shortcut on ONLY the current active windows identity.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 04 January 2006 - 09:05 PM.

#3 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help. I'll definitely be cleaning up our desktops.

#4 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Whenever a user with Administrator rights adds a program, ALL users get the program on their profiles...

That's the why.

The fix is to remove the unwanted icons as Heretic said, and see if both you and spouse have Admin rights on your profiles. It's simpler to remove the unwanted icons than to play with the accounts...

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help. I'll definitely be cleaning up our desktops.

Glad i could help :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users