Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pirated Broadband Usage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 acraw

acraw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Three months ago someone downloaded 1500GB of material on my computer. For the last three months after re-encrypting my wireless modem it has dropped off dramatically. I have installed Bit Meter to monitor but on 2 days this month someone downloaded a total of 89GB of material. I normally average 1.5GB per day. I do not download movies and we have no children. Comcast Security is useless but they keep threatening to cut off my service if I exceed 250G in a month. I also disconnect my internet at night. The downloading started at 4PM CDT and ran for 17 hours with a roughly constant 5+GB per hour. Any ideas what is going on. It occurs on only one of my computers which I have hooked up to the network. I do no file sharing. I use a virtual keyboard. Any ideas.

Edited by Andrew, 28 May 2011 - 12:19 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved to AII due to potential malware - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

Do you use router at all?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 acraw

acraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Yes, I do but intermittently. Do not know if it was on those days. That was a typo on my part. It should have read "wireless router" instead of wireless modem on my original post. Thank you for responding. I thought encryption solved the problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,656 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

I do but intermittently

I'm not sure what you're saying.
A router is either there, or not.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 acraw

acraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

I apologize. What I am saying is often I turn off the wireless part of router so it is not running. For three days this month someone downloaded 89GB of material at about 5.6GB an hour. I do not stream movies or file share. When I unplug the computer from the router nothing gets downloaded. I have 2 computers connected and the problem only exists on one. I uninstalled Skype as a possible solution today.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,656 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Is your router secured?
Good, strong password?
Try changing router password.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 markr9

markr9

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Could you clarify all connections of your network to the internet.

For example
pc1 to router via ethernet
pc2 to router via wireless
router to dsl modem to internet

what uses the wireless connection ?
do you have any wireless security on the router ? thats wep or wpa.
what make and model is your router ?
does it maintain a log file ?

if you dont know thats fine . Its likely that someone is "borrowing" your connection
and you want to stop that both because of the bandwidth used, but to stop any
illegal activity.

#8 acraw

acraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

PC 1 to router via ethernet
PC 2 to router via ethernet
Router to DSL modem

When my wife is home she uses a wireless connection to router but the theft occurred when she was not home using the wireless connection for her laptop. Theft occurred on a computer wired via ethernet to router.

Wireless is encrypted not sure if wep or wpa

Netgear WNR1000

Do not know about log file. I have Bitmeter installed to monitor usage.

Password is 11 numbers plus 6 letters in caps and lower case--have changed it once.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,656 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

If I were you....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 markr9

markr9

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

From your description I would suspect an unsecure wireless but I cant say offhand how to fix it. There are several options for you to try, such as adding the address of each pc you own, to block any other pc from accessing the network, and disabling the broadcast.

I suggest that the one pc has the internet connection and the others route through it to access the network, since you get no pirating with it disconnected. If you try your other pc at that time , it should not access the internet either. If it does then I am wrong :(

As Broni suggested , submit the report and ensure that there is no malware involved first.

Edited by markr9, 29 May 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,656 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

Since that stealing happens only through one of two computers, there is a good chance, something malicious can be there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users