Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files are there, Icons are NOT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mdub662

mdub662

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hello all. I've come to this forum many times for help solving computer problems, but I've never had to actually ask a question myself before. I've got a SERIOUS problem and I need some help.

My computer was infected with a desktop hijacker (fake anti-spyware deal). It deleted everything from my desktop and set the background to be black. I used SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes to remove the beast. I have had this happen before, and everything went back to normal. Not this time; I couldn't find my files ANYWHERE. I had to do a system restore to a few days before I got the virus. Now a FEW of my icons are back, but none of my folders are there. I can go to "Recent Files" and open some of the files that were saved to my desktop. I had a folder of Guitar Pro files saved to my desktop. If I right click on the file name and choose "open file location," my computer claims that the folder is on the desktop, but it's not there! Also, I had an edited .WAV file saved to my desktop. I can play it from the "Recent Files" menu, but the icon is NOT on my desktop. I've tried saving it from windows media player to another folder, but wherever I save the file, it's still gone. I also just opened up my iTunes folder. Half of the Band Name folders are missing, but I can still play the files from iTunes.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I have almost everything I need saved on an external hard drive, but I don't have the WAV file I mentioned before on the hard drive. I absolutely HAVE to be able to access that file and save it to the external hard drive!

Thanks in advance,
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

Download and run UnHide

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

this is the main reason i tell family and friends alike ,not to save files and folders on there desktop .as it not what its meant for[ plus i once lost my desktop because of a corrupt desktop .ini file] . i hope you can recover lost files and folders ,good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 mdub662

mdub662
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Broni - THANKS!!!! I actually had unhide on my computer, but I completely forgot about that program. Obviously I couldn't remind myself of it by inspecting my anti-malware folder which I so wisely saved to my desktop. :P

caperjac - lesson learned! This was entirely too close for comfort. My desktop is now virtually empty, and I have no files saved to it!

Matt

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Did UnHide work for you?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users