Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Security Virus Removal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 m_r

m_r

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site but a quick Google search seems to suggest this is a really useful forum. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the inner workings of computers, so I'm here to seek help with the removal of the malware "XP Home Security".

I've actually looked up some Youtube videos and read some forums, leading me to do some work myself. However, I'm not sure if I'm actually clean and I'm worried I might be still infected since I didn't use Rkill or something like it. What I did was the following:
1. Used system restore, using one week prior to today as my restore point.
2. Updated existing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my computer and ran it (quick scan; took maybe 45 minutes or so).
3. MBAM found 10 infected files, so I had the program delete the files. It restarted my computer and this is where I am now.

It LOOKS LIKE I have no problems now, but I would like to know if there are flaws with what I have done. How can I be sure I'm clean? I am currently running MBAM again (full scan of my C drive) and waiting for results.

Also, my computer uses the family wi-fi connection. Should I be worried that the other 3 computers in the house might be infected? My infected computer is currently offline (I'm using a netbook to write this) with the hopes that it won't be able to infect the other ones.

I apologize for the massive email in advance, but I would really appreciate any feedback anyone might have about this.

Thanks,
m_r

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users