Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burner Is Not Working (win. Xp Home.)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jaber

Jaber

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

I have recently recovered my computer from viruses infections. I still have some problems. I have scanned my system with Ad ware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy and they both resulted in no threats present in my system. When I ran trendmicro housecall scan, my system was still working but the site froze at the end of the scan, I tried it again couple of times but it also froze at the end of the scan. One of the problems I noticed is my CD Burner is not working, I use Windows Media Player v10 and everytime I go to the Burn tab it tells me that "NO CD or DVD Burner has been detected. Press F5 to refresh" but it does not refresh it. I checked my Burner status and it is enabled and working properly. When I insert a blank CD it used to take me to the writing CD wizard but now my CD Drive does not recognize any CD. I open it manually and it shows that the E drive is empty as if there is no CD at all. Can some one please advise me of what to do.

Thank you all for your help and support.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:48 AM

Have you tried going to the Device Manager (Right click My Computer / Properties / Hardware tab / Device Manager button) and uninstalling the CD Burner, rebooting, and seeing if Windows will recognize the drive?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Jaber

Jaber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:05 AM

Thank you for your help.
I will try that but will that affect the CD Burner drive indefinitely, I mean will I be able to reinstall the CD Burner if nothing changes?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:32 PM

Presuming that you've removed the infection, this is the most likely cure for your problem.

There are other things that could cause this - but this is the place to start. If it doesn't fix the CD drive - then it's indicative of a deeper problem.

But, all computer problems are fixable - it just depends on how far you want to go with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users