Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmvinin69

jmvinin69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

my computer is a whomping 8gb hd. the max my motherboard will recognize is 60gb which is fine for what i use it for. the problem is that circuit city only has 80gb hard drives. will these work on my computer. oh i have a gift card thats why it is circuit city. thanks for any help.
jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

Most hard drives come with utilities that force the computer to reconize the hard drive up to 137gb. So the anwser is Yes it will work. You could also partition your drive to organize your data> C:\Windows, D:\Data, E:\Music,...
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

acklan said is true ....... very encouraging to partition your harddisk for different purpose ....
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:06 AM

Or it is possible there is a BIOS upgrade which will have corrected that 60GB limitation. (odd size?)
But as said there is software available (disk managers) from the manufacturers to get around the limitation so you can get the full 80Gb.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:53 AM

Why not look around elsewhere if you really do want a drive smaller than 80GB - try eBay for example.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

If the price is ok I still think you will be better server with that dive partitioned into three, C:\ 20gb, D:\ 20gb, E:\ 20gb. First time you have to reinstall XP and you lose data you could have had store on a secondary, you will wish you had. Also when you download programs, download to the secondary partition and then install to C:\ drive\partition. In this way if you reinstall, for whatever reason, you won't have to re-download. IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users