Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hdd and usb to sata/ide adapter

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jayme1112

jayme1112

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

how in the world do you transfer and view files on a hard drive without having to format/reformat it?
i am using a usb to sata/ide adapter. it will recognize the drive but when i try and access the information, it states that the hdd needs to be formatted before i can use it. which kinda defeats the purpose! please help!!! i have been researching for hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

What was wrong with the computer that made you remove the drive in the first place?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

the computer i took the ide laptop drive from was very old. and i was trying to transfer the files over to my computer for a friend. so that they could see what was on it. as far as whats wrong, not quite sure yet! if i could just get the files off for the friend, i would wipe the drive and start from scratch. to try and see what the problem may be.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Go to the Run box in your start menu and type diskmgmt.msc see if the HDD not just the enclosure is listed and see what the status is.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

it says that it is a healthy active primary partition

#6 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

and when i try and open it, i get the message to format it, in order to use it. how its got stuff/data on it and is considered unformatted doesn't make sense to me.

#7 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

do you need to set the jumper on a ide laptop hdd? i didn't think that it mattered on those, with the device that i am using to do the transfer. also, while on the topic! i know that the drive has data on it but as i stated before, when i try and view whats on the drive, it says that it needs to be formatted in order to use it. when you look at the properties of the drive though, it shows that the hdd is full, which it pretty much is but? it shows solid blue with 0 bytes and says unformatted!

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:04 AM

Let's see if you can access the drive in the command prompt go to the start menu and select run. In the run box type command. At the prompt type cd\. At the C: prompt type the drive letter assigned to the drive by Windows followed by a : then press enter. If the drive letter changes to the correct drive letter type chckdsk /r and press enter. This should scan the drive and fix any errors it can.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

it says (the volume does not contain a recognized file system)

#10 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

provide i typed in the commands correctly lol!

#11 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

also, in disc management: the drive as i said before, shows to be healthy. the hdd is 3.95gis and beside it, it shows the word RAW! does that mean anything?

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

It means that the current file system is corrupt and Windows doesn't know where anything is. I have a few other options to try but I need to do some checking on my pc first. I will have more information later today

Chad Mockensturm 

#13 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

well i finally found a way to recover some of the data from the drive. i have been moderately successful lol! once i have completed that process, i want to reinstall windows. BUT? i have a copy of xp oem version to do the install and a product key but i am not sure if thaey will work together. usually the os that comes with the pc/laptop is an oem version but on this particular laptop, i am not sure! there is no OEM written anywhere on the COA. which leads me to believe that it might be a retail product key! in which case the disc that i have for the install would be useless correct?

#14 jayme1112

jayme1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

forgot to mention that the laptop in ? is a winbook a 2004 model GREEN733E PRO RX-7334. if you can't help with this ? please guide me in the right direction!

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Depending on The OEM cd you have it may be Branded for DEll, Compaq etc and the Key on the laptop will not work even if the key is OEM. Its hard to find an unbranded OEM, disc. If you are not sure what disc you actually have you can look at the setup.ini file located in the I386 directory of the cd/rom. You will see the following two lines (your ID will vary from these examples, of course):

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=55034000

The actual Pid values can be any of the following:

• Retail = 51882 335
  • Volume License = 51883 270
  • OEM = 82503 OEM

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users