Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is it I have?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SageMoonblade

SageMoonblade

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

I managed to somehow pick up a virus I have no idea on how to treat. The system is using Windows XP home SP2.

Symptoms:

Desktop is blank and is a darker shade of blue with no writing, messages or icons even in safe mode and can not be right clicked on.

Menu bar at the bottom is available and working, the start menu has most of its directories but they are all empty.

Task manager was locked out saying it was only available to administrators but that was corrected by HJT.

Avira antivirus is locked out.

Smitfraud, winaso and ccleaner had no effect.

HJT had very little effect.

The computer has trouble booting into safe mode and hangs at mup.sys during this process but it can be done through the boot.ini in MSconfig.

All desktop icons are able to be used through window explorer but that blue screen prevents them from being used from the desktop.

Just before the desktop went blank there was a box that popped up that looked like the windows recover virus.

All programs seem to work fine other then Avira.

Anyone got any ideas that don't involve reformatting? If you have question let me know and I will fill in the best I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users