Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems with laptop not finding router

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roached1

Roached1

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hello all...

Buddy gave me his laptop to clean up. It will find the router only in safe mode. I am trying to clean any possible malware that he might have recieved on this thing....I wish to jump forum topics...to malware removal...but can't keep a constant sign on. Like I said....just need help signing on then I can switch forums...sorry to be a bother.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Andrew, 21 May 2011 - 04:13 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved From Networking to AII - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

During regular mode is the wireless card using its own software to set up the connection or is it using windows?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Roached1

Roached1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Not real sure Sneak....not real good with laptop networking. What is the easiest way to tell and I can get you the information you are needing.

Thanks for the help!

#4 Roached1

Roached1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

A little more information for you Sneaky....This laptop is running Vista, Home Basic (which I am not truly familiar with). It will eventually find my router with an "Excellent" status for signal. I have the computer to automatically find my router and sign on. It will connect (in normal mode) and every once in a while disconnect. Sometimes it will sign on with limited access....sometimes it will sign on perfect and run for a while (like now).

It used to be (when the computer was newer) my buddy could come over...sign on and go with no problems. The buddy is one to just fire up the computer...surf...and sign off... In other words....does not update virus, spyware & malware definitions. That is why I have a feeling something has attached itself to this machine.

I have been trying to update all of his critical definitions all weekend....but with the connectivity being "on and off" it has been a long and difficult process.

I just wanted to give you a little more insight to what is going on instead of my first basic post which just stated I could not sign on.

Thanks Sneaky!

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

If it looks like this its Windows.
Posted Image

When your computer drops the signal are there any other computers still connected to the network via wireless and are they still working ok?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 Roached1

Roached1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:59 PM

My PC is a desktop and it is hard-lined into the router...it runs fine. There are no other actual comptures running off the router.

We do have two IPods reading the router (no problems) and a PS3 running networked games with no problems.

Windows is setting up the connection.

Thanks!

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

I would grab a lan cable and connect the laptop that way then head over to the Am I infected forums and proceed there. I am leaning towards malware/virus at this point. If using a Ethernet cable is not an option I will point our malware team to this topic and they can proceed to get you online. If its not malware related we can proceed with troubleshooting the hardware.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users