Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build/ Complex issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crewman48

Crewman48

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm a first time builder. I started with a stone age Dell and wanted to build my own system for flexibility and for the ability to upgrade. I made sure that all my equipment was compatible: Biostar H55A+ Mobo, Intel i3 3.2ghz, kingston 2g DDR3 1333mhz, 600W Eagle PSU, and VisionTech 512M PCIe video card... I wanted to scavenge the HD and DVD multi drive out of the old Dell ***(Budget)*** The WD1600JB Hard Drive and the Hitachi 65A-4040B DVD multi drive are both IDE(PATA) and the Biostar mobo only has SATA connectors. So for the low low price of $12 I bought 2 IDE to SATA adapters and installed them per the instructions. The problem occurs when I try and boot the system. The HD nor the DVDrom are recognized... not even in BIOS. The adapters claim to convert the IDE to SATA1 and the board is rated for SATA2; which in doing some research is backwards compatible. I've tried every recomended jumper position for the HD and DVDrom with no avail. I'm already over budget and buying a SATA DVD and HD are out of the question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Well, first off what is the make/model of these adaptors, and where did you get them? did they come with any documentation? Some of these adaptors have small switches that need to be set to a certain position.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Crewman48

Crewman48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

IOCrest is the manufacture of the Adapters and yes there was instructions, which I followed to the T. However, as an update, I confirmed through the company's website that these adapters also work on ide optical drives, because shortly after I created this thread I decided to try one more time to boot the new system with the adapter switches in the opposite positions than what the instructions say. ***Instructions and logical switch position: IDE to SATA; because thats what I'm trying to do.*** What I switched the adapter to was the Sata to IDE position on both HD and Optical drive. Low and Behold the HD is recognized and BOOTS!!! Well almost, the OEM version of windows xp from the Dell won't load so I begin to think that the adapters and cheesy instructions weren't clear enough, maybe they meant the switch needed to indicate mobo to device. This still did not explain why the optical wasn't recognized. I switch the adapters thinking maybe one is faulty from factory...Nothing is recognized...I swap them back...Nothing is recognized. GRRRRRR!!! At this point I rip the HD and Optical out of the new system and an put them back in the POS Dell.... Log in to TigerDirect and Purchase a SATA HD and Optical drive...I may not eat for a week but I'll have a functioning **NEW** computer in 4 to 7 days. Still this is a puzzle that if anyone has solved I'd love to hear about it. My troubleshooting experience tells me the $6 adapters are the answer to my issues. Maybe a PCI adapter would work better? Are you able to boot from such an adapter?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

Ive never tried a PCI adaptor, though from what Ive read online, they have a higher success rate then the sata to IDE. I have used the sata to IDE adaptors in the past, never got them to work, and from what research Ive done its like a 50/50 whether its going to or not, they work with some motherboard/hard drive combinations and not with others, really finicky. After my attempt at a adaptor didnt work, I did what you did, and broke down and purchased a SATA hard drive (my IDE optical was fine, my board had one IDE channel) and even now, have finally gotten rid of IDE atogether, its so nice not having to deal with IDE ribbons anymore. Like I said, if you want to try the PCI to IDE adaptors, from what Ive read they work more often then not (unlike the sata/IDE ones) but if it were my system, Id just save my pennies, and do away with IDE altogether.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users