I have an Acer that over the last few years I've cobbled together a variety of different parts so its less Acer and more Best Buy / Fry's assorted products.
The other day my wife clicked on Yes to install IE 9 as part of the Windows Update process.
As the machine rebooted, it began to start turning off shortly after displaying the bios and sometimes the Windows launch bar.
Since the entire computer was turning off I suspected this was hardware related. So far I've:
- tried a different video card
- installed a new power supply
- pulled the memory stick by stick
- tried booting from each of the two hard-drives (I pulled the power from each of the hard-drives to force Windows to load from one or the other)
- tried booting from the CD-ROM directly.
I continue to get the same result, the machine turns off after it tries loading Windows. So now I'm thinking this might be a software problem but the fact that the entire computer turns off is a bit surprising. I suppose it could be a virus but I run the latest McAfee protection suite.
Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be greatly received and appreciated.