Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo S10 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gymx

gymx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

I've got a Lenovo S10 that belongs to my daughter. After a power-on reset the bios boot happens but when it should run up the disk and start windows NOTHING happens. I'm left with a black screen. No disk action. I did boot it to a USB drive and the disk and it's contents are fine so I believe it's a problem with booting windows. What now? No CD drive, no floppy so whatever I have to do I need to be able to do it from a bootable USB drive.

Suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

your notebook has a recovery partition. system restore will fix system files. restore to factory default will destroy all data and re-install. Save important data before you do that one. this is the manual.

http://consumerdl.lenovo.com.cn/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y430/OneKey%20Rescue%20System%20User%20Guide.pdf

#3 gymx

gymx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

It won't boot from the hard disk at all so this isn't an option. Once the hardware resets and the Bios does it's thing it won't go to the hard drive.
Anyone else? Will the recovery console run from a USB and do you think this might be a way to recover things?

I can get read the drive if I boot from a USB drive to DOS so I can save the data. I'd like to save the Windows install and everything else along with it, rather than just pulling off the data, rebuilding Windows, and starting over. My guess is that this is a boot-sector virus or the cause of one.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

if your hard drive is ok, you should be able to access one key rescue. (manual says: You can press OneKey Rescue System key to activate Lenovo OneKey Rescue when your PC is turned off.)

to create a USB boot disk with recovery console you will need a windows install disk or access to the files on your hidden partition.
this is one way to do it:
http://blog.emptycrate.com/node/386

#5 gymx

gymx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

OneKey is not an option. The same thing happens when I try to start with OneKey as when it tries to boot normally: the bios boots the hardware then a black screen appears with a blinking undeline prompt at the upper left of the screen but the disk and operating system never begin the boot sequence.

I have managed to get the recovery console loaded and launched from a USB drive but don't know what to try next to repair the system.

Any thoughts on what I might try next?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

From the recovery console you might try the following commands.
Hit enter after each line

bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot
fixmbr

See if it boots then.
If not let us know & we can get your thread moved to the folks that deal with unbootable systems.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 gymx

gymx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Tried the above and I get the same result. Nothing but blackness and a lone blinking underline cursor at the top left of the screen. Can't enter anything, can't ctrl-alt-delete to reboot, nothing.

Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by gymx, 25 May 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

gymx
found two fixes that helped other people in you exact situation. one was to check and see if partition is set to "active" and the other was a BIOS setting:
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/xp-wont-start-black-screen-f8-doesnt-work/187762.html

#9 gymx

gymx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Caperdog you are a masterful internet forum sleuth. I searched a LOT for this issue and didn't find the post you linked in your last reply. Thank you.
Problem solved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users