Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File name invalid or too long?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

I am attempting to copy a zip file of embroidery design files from backup drive K to my C drive. When I attempt to paste them into the new folder, I am receiving an error message which reads, "Cannot copy Birds-buffalo-wolf-bear-daffocils - 3-20-2011 - order no 4954554: The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."

I can copy this same file to a different location on the K drive just fine, but the minute I try to copy it to the C drive, I get the error message. I tried renaming the file with a shorter name - Birds-3-20-2011, and got the same result.

I have the same problem with individual embroidery design files -- I keep getting this "name invalid or too long" message, even when the name is literally one word and a 6- or 7-digit number. All these items, the zip folder plus the individual design files, were located in one folder. I only have this problem with the files from that particular folder, as none of the items can be copied. I can copy files from other folders of similar items found elsewhere on the K drive.

These design files were created by and purchased from Embroidery Library, a company that has been in business for >10 years and has a good reputation. Originally, they were named with just a number; however, because finding them by number alone is a pain, Iíve renamed the individual design files with descriptive names in addition to their numbers. Even with longer names than these, I havenít had a problem until I tried to copy these particular files. Interestingly, I was attempting to copy these files because I could not get some of the files with the exact same name on the C drive (the files from which those on the K drive had been copied) to load in the Janome Digitizer 10000 program that I use to work with them. The designs of the same name that had been copied to the K drive just a few days ago will load, but as these are my backups, I donít want to use them on a day-to-day basis. This is not a copyright issue, as Embroidery Library allows buyers to transform -- resize, add to, etc. -- the designs and save them at will, so long as they are for oneís own use or given as gifts, i.e., are not resold or used commercially.

Whatís up with this? If the file name was invalid or too long, why would Windows allow it to be saved in the first place?
All these tasks were completed on the same computer, which is running XP Home edition and has been upgraded to SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users