Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping processes and services for better performance?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lobita

lobita

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

All my cleanup programs tell me to stop unneeded or unused processes and services, but I don't know how to tell which ones I don't need
Help me Obi1Kenobi. You're my only hope!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

That's just bad advice...what cleanup programs suggest such? Yhe better altnernative would to be uninstall these "cleanup programs" and use those resources for necessary tasks.

Fooling around with services...will yield minimal, marginal "performance gains" which won't even be noticeable.

If you want to disable something...I'd suggest indexing and system restore, with the proviso that you only disable SR if you do frequent, routine backups of the entire system.

Louis

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

Adding to Louis'...

All you may want to control are unnecessary startups.
Those will produce unnecessary processes and services.

You're approaching the subject through the back door.

Edited by Broni, 21 May 2011 - 10:20 AM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

Hi lobita -
About all I can add is delete older and unused programs from, Control Panel > Add / Remove or use the programs uninstaller if one exists -
Download ATF Cleaner to help remove downloaded temp files -
Next in Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup, I tick all except the bottom box , then click OK , this cleans up unneeded items -
Never believe what most downloaded programs tell you to do, they just want your money, and they screw up your system -
If any program says you have more than 4 or 6 items that need fixing (not 200) they are screwing with you -
(Sorry for the language but it is all 100% true) - Most cleanup items are built in , or we can help you find good ones -
Broni and Louis can advise on good and useless programs -

Thank You -

#5 lobita

lobita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hi, I just want to thank the people who replied to my query about processes. I wasn't being rude, I just have a very hard tim getting (or staying) on the net. I have issues that can't be fixed by changing running process priorities. I was just hoping that would help. Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.
Help me Obi1Kenobi. You're my only hope!

#6 Particalzman

Particalzman

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Did you start new threads with the other problems your having, usually it's all linked together some how. I would almost bet you have some kind of infection if your having trouble staying on the internet. They would also explain your now slow computer, the clean up program you downloaded was likely infected. That would be my best guess anyway, without logs or more info there is no way to determine anything further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users