Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP download center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

The issue I am working with is that I need to deliver some large PDF files to clients, and the files are to large to email (5+ mb).
A friend told me a good way to do this would be setting up an FTP server on our website. That way I could upload the files with a username/password, provide the client with that, and have them download the files from our website.
I have tried Google-ing and looking on this and a few other tech forums to get an idea of how this would be done, and I can't figure it out.
A general explanation of the concept would be awesome. Also, if you have a different solution on how to deliver the files that would be great too.
My two most important questions are:
1. Is this something that someone with no programing (or HTML) experience can do?
2. If so, what all do I need? I've seen some stuff about using windows servers (2003) and a program called FileZilla, but nothing that explains how this is done.
Advice is greatly appreciated, even if it's only to tell me that I am in way over my head on this one :)
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

You might be over your head, but there really is no programming involved. In a nutshell, you need to set up an FTP server (as I am sure you figured out already). The basic setup is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323384

I am making one assumption here that may or may not be incorrect. I am assuming that you are hosting your own site on your own hardware which you have administrative access to. If you are using a company to do your hosting for you, then the thing to do would be to see if your host allows ftp access, and if they will set it up for you.

#3 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ok, that confirms I was at least in the right ballpark.

Actually, yeah, we are currently using a company to host our website, but looking into doing it ourselves... They totally suck :( I have a feeling this will be another one of their services that either does not exist or will be painfully clumsy to the point of non-functionality when implemented.

Thanks for the reply!

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hire a good host and let them manage the hardware. A good host is going to keep their servers up to date (which you would have to do), will maintain the expense of the hardware (which you would have to do), and will keep their servers secure (which you would have to do).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users