Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.iso Files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roblav

roblav

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hi, I just downloaded a file and it ends in .iso and I don't know which application to use to run the program. I was told that i should burn it to a disc and then run it off of that but I wasnt sure if that would work properly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob Lavigne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

Do you have Nero CD burning available?

If not try this free one:

http://www.deepburner.com/

You'll need an application to convert .iso (an image of folders/files) back to the "real things", typically a .exe file and several other file extensions with the folder that is now that .iso

More can be said about it, but basically thats it. :thumbsup: Give it a go!

Edited by phawgg, 04 January 2006 - 06:10 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

Most CD burning softwares have the ability to "Burn a CD Image", letting you choose an .iso, .bin, or .cue file from your computer. This automatically burns all the files of the .iso program in the configuration needed.

There's also an app called "Demon Tools" that allows you to mount an imaginary drive on your PC, and run the .iso from there. It's sorta complicated though, and i've had some odd side effects, including an imaginary drive that won't seem to de-activate....

#4 roblav

roblav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:59 PM

So if i burn it to the cd like suggested will it word as if I bought the program on that cd?

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

No. For such pirated, illegal software, you'd probably need a certain key or serial number to fit with the program.

If i'd have known you were planning on burning illegal software that you'd normally have to buy, i wouldn't have said anything. For future reference, i'd suggest you go elsewhere for this kind of thing.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

For several reasons we discourage pirated software.

1. we promote responsible growth of the internet
2. we spend hours countering the effects of programs downloaded without the user knowledge that amount to illegal entry into private property ... sorta burglery (a crime)
3. we work at improving opensource applications that do an awfull ot of good for people who for one reason or another do not (or can not) spend the money that software firms must charge to cover their expenses and research & development.
4. we encourage the existing arrangement of freeware & shareware that seems quite equitable, and free trials from large for profit firms are very helpful to the overall ideal growth of the internet
5. we don't think it's fair, in light of all of that, to use knowledge to compromise those cornerstones of development by assisting in a sub-category of practical use that really isn't consistant with these goals.
6. pirated software can also lend factors that endanger those that are not, leading ultimately to more work for us that adversely affects those who use no illegimate software.

Please understand this.
Heretic Monkey has stated it as clearly as it needs to be.
You are welcome to our help, but don't avail yourself of it, only to in turn treat us with the disrespect that is evidenced by supporting that which we do not.

Yes, more can be said of .iso conversion.
What I said was give it a go.
Perhaps I now temper that advice with the other points in your best interest.

It's OK to learn.
I hope we have helped you in that.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

im not trying to pirate anything or whatever, but cant use jsut use ISOBUster to convert iso files and run open them on your comp? or is that something different?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users