Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only use in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:26 AM

A friend has asked me to look at her computer. It became slower and slower and can now only be used in safe mode, any attempt to run in normal mode fails. Unfortunately she did not understand the importance of Windows updates or Norton Antivrus and has not used either since she purchased the machine in 2003. Her internet access no longer works and the machine does not have a floppy drive.

I managed to work in safe mode and copied Adaware and Spybot on to the hard drive from a CD, they found and removed over 300 maliciaous entries. I also ran the out of date NAV and it found 11 examples of Bloodhound either W32.1 or W32.EP and quarantined them.

I also managed to get Hijackthis to work but cannot post a log as I have no way of getting it out of the machine.

Msconfig showed the following at startup, I have identified several of them as viruses although NAV did not pick them up:

Werebate0.exe
ssms.exe
sres32.exe
zpiml.exe
orgsmygy.exe
mspmspsu.exe
crsrs.exe
oymja.exe
lboxuhotv.exe
winv32.exe
wumdastri.exe
xoltuyb.exe
dsentry.exe
hkcmd.exe
igfxtray.exe
scvhost.exe
svxhost.exe

I've tried to rerun Hijackthis and the machine has frozen again. Your advice please on how I can recover the machine
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 12g

12g

• Members
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 11:59 PM

Which Operating System does your friend run?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users