Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generally Speaking (bad mobo Q)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dontknowitall

dontknowitall

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hi,

This is a general question that I would like to be applied towards mobos/cpus in general.

The PC does not power on, but the MOBO lights the green power light.
The PSU tests OK in a tester and powers on by itself.
Another power switch form another case is tested, and it still doesn't turn on.

It is safe to assume a bad MOBO, correct? Does the CPU need to be functional for the fans to spin and the thing to power on?

Is there anyway to know for sure (without another CPU) that it's not the CPU??

Thank you.

Edited by dontknowitall, 20 May 2011 - 12:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Does the CPU need to be functional for the fans to spin and the thing to power on?

No, you would simply get a system beep code referring to a processor related error, but the cooling fans would still spin up and power would still flow into the motherboard.

The motherboard can be bad, specially in the area of the CPU, but it is rather rare to have a CPU go bad without any noticeable damage during the inspection of it, so if it is at all related to the CPU check the motherboard closely in that area.

Check the CPU slot for any signs of failure, scored or burned areas.

Have you checked those electrolytic capacitors for any signs of leakage or blown seals?

Check the ones with the purple outer coating, those are a brand of capacitors that are notorious for failure.

Check for any loose connections, short circuits or disconnected wires.

You might even try doing a process of elimination, by disconnecting one piece of hardware at a time and testing the system to see if elimination a piece of hardware actually causes the system to start up normally.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dontknowitall

dontknowitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

All of the CAPS look good.. no buldges or leaks.

I've checked the wires and a different PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users