Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Images Stored On Memory Card.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dave_unreal

dave_unreal

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

I used my new memory card for the first time and I think I've made a terrible mistake. :thumbsup:

I viewed the images successfully and tried to email them to my girlfriend by highlighting the whole folder then clicking on email this folder files. The action failed.

When I now try to open the images I get an error:

'windows cannot open this file:

File: 01010001.jpg^^^^^

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it.....'

I suspect that something has gone wrong when I tried to email it and it maybe wasn't properly decoded.

Please tell me that I haven't lost the images for good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:48 AM

highlighting the whole folder

Was there a folder to highlight or do you mean highlighting all the images you could see using a 'select all' function?

When you say 'Memory card' do you mean a USB flash drive or do you mean a camera memory card that you put in a reader?

File: 01010001.jpg^^^^^

Is that the only file that shows or is this an example?

What do you see if you view the contents of the memory card with Windows Explorer (under Start>'All Programs'>Accessories for WinXP)?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 dave_unreal

dave_unreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:02 AM

Yeah it was memory stick the folder I mentioned was created by the memory stick to categorise the images by date. I selected the whole folder rather than going in and selecting individual images.

The file I used for an example was only one of a few images.

I'm at work just now so I'll give explorer a try tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

#4 dave_unreal

dave_unreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

I've been able to check via Explorer, I can locate the files without any problems, however when I select any one of the images, I am unable to view them.

The first time I noticed something wrong was after I tried to email the images via Hotmail. There was some kind of error and when I tried to access the images on the memory card I recieved an error stating 'Could not find the program that created the file' or something there-abouts.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

Try deleting the characters after g in 01010001.jpg^^^^^ and see if you can view the image then.

To delete the characters right click the filename choose 'rename', arrow to the right then edit the text, press enter when finished. Then double click on the file.

Do all the files end in .jpg^^^^^?

What image viewing program do you use?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 dave_unreal

dave_unreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

The renaming of the file wouldn't work, The ^^^^^ appeared on the second line and wouldn't allow editing.

Good news though, I have just tried to open one of the images using Paint in an attempt to 'save as' under a different file name and for some reason Paint will allow me to view the image and I've been able to fix the issue.

I don't understand why any of the other viewing programs didn't work but at least it's now okay.

Thanks for your help.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

Well I guess the moral is to copy the images to your hard drive before attempting to email them.
Glad you were able to recover the pics! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users