Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I still infected?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DLWayne

DLWayne

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my XP Pro system. Got infected with Windows Recovery. Went through preliminary steps to eliminate the malware, had to run anti-malware boot disk to get the fake Windows program to stop. Then was able to run my installed programs (Malwarebytes, Spybot, Microsoft Essentials) which each found some things. However, I couldn't update Spybot or Malwarebytes. Finally, after running each of them, things got a bit more normal and I could run the updates, ran each program again and nothing more found. BTW, Spybot usually removes "unneeded temporary files", and likely did so this time. I was able to access a few programs via the Run command (the ones I know what to enter, i.e., "mbam", "firefox", "thunderbird"). But I can't access most of the rest that way - don't know what to enter.

Next problem was that all documents and almost all programs were hidden, so went through the steps recommended in the "Remove Windows Recovery (Uninstall Guide)", used "unhide.exe" and can now see & access all my documents, also any icons I still keep (I've deleted many/most of my icons over a period of time - I like a clean desktop and access my regular programs via icons on customized Start Menu, and the remainder/infrequent ones via All Programs). Currently, while my programs show up as names in All Programs, when trying to click on almost all of them it says "(Empty)", except Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, and Zipeg. The rest are, of course, still installed, and show up in Add or Remove Programs.

Tried the steps listed for XP Pro in topic 396978, but no further progress.

Any thoughts on my next step(s)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users