Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Recovery virus hidden desktop icons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 patrecko

patrecko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

I ran malwarebytes and it seemed to clean the system up.
I cannot see my desktop icons UNless I go to folder options and choose to view hidden files and folders. I do not want to leave it this way because others may change system files.

How can I fix it windows vista to show these desktop icons another way?
Thanks for any help or advise in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigIrish1974

BigIrish1974

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

I've been battling the same monster all day, Ive been running iexplore.exe(rkill) which stops the malicious processes and then running malwarebytes...but after restarting it still remains...BS security warnings all day...theres a program called unhide.exe which is supposed to unhide all of ur files after uve run the malwarebytes and supposedly removed the virus. It seems that malwarebytes is not fiunding every infected folder for some reason and Im treading water here. Please somebody point me in the right direction.

#3 palthegiraffe

palthegiraffe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

I joined this forum just to post exactly the same question.

I used MalwareBytes this evening to get rid of the Windows Vista Recovery virus, and now 1) the desktop is empty with no picture or icons, 2) the programs in the menu over the Start button are gone, and 3) opening Windows Explorer shows me none of my documents!

I know the files still exist, because opening recent documents in Word or Excel still brings them up, and iTunes still plays music files normally. But they are not visible.

Edited by palthegiraffe, 20 May 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#4 mcjosh

mcjosh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

I joined this forum just to post exactly the same question.

I used MalwareBytes this evening to get rid of the Windows Vista Recovery virus, and now 1) the desktop is empty with no picture or icons, 2) the programs in the menu over the Start button are gone, and 3) opening Windows Explorer shows me none of my documents!

I know the files still exist, because opening recent documents in Word or Excel still brings them up, and iTunes still plays music files normally. But they are not visible.

I am having this same exact problem. Help, please? I really need the files and programs back, as I do much of my work from this computer.
Should I start a topic/thread of my own?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

Download and run UnHide

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 palthegiraffe

palthegiraffe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

Download and run UnHide

It works! All is well! I have my weekend back! My wife's work is not gone! Hooray! Thank you!

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 puppydo

puppydo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

Thank you! My desktop items have re-appeared.

I do however have lots of word documents that cannot be opened?

e.g. ~$evious work experience with children - embassy

the original document is called - Previous work experience with children - embassy

The one that cannot be opened is saved at an earlier date than the other one. Are these just recovered duplicates? Will I still have access to all my other files?

Thanks for your help!! Appreciated!!

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

the original document is called - Previous work experience with children - embassy

Is it totally missing, or....?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Rachii

Rachii

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

I was struck with this virus last night and it hid everything from my desktop and Start menu. I've run a System Restore and everything is back, however all the files that were saved to my desktop or Documents folder are hidden (everything in the other folders that come later alphabetically, eg Music and Pictures, are not hidden, and everything that was hidden last night when the virus was active are back now). I've just checked using Notepad and I can still access the documents through that. I've downloaded UnHide to get my documents back onto my desktop although it's taking its time and doesn't look like it's doing anything, how long should it take?
Nevermind this, UnHide has returned my files to their rightful homes, thank you!

I'm also running a virus scan using Microsoft Security Essentials although I know it will take hours to complete. I'm considering downloading Anti-Malware Bytes just to be on the safe side but I'm worried it'll cancel out Security Essentials. Any recommendations?

Edited by Rachii, 30 May 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

MBAM will coexist with any AV program just fine.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 shaker

shaker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

Download and run UnHide

I'm new here too, and appreciate the help getting rid of this virus.

I'm running unhide.exe. How long does it usually take to run? It's been going for close to an hour so far...

It says "Processing C:\"

Thanks.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

@shaker
Is your computer clean already?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 shaker

shaker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

@shaker
Is your computer clean already?

It appears to be. I ran a Malwarebytes full scan and it cleaned out some files and ater a reboot, the virus (Windows Vista Recovery) is no longer giving me grief.

The only problem is the missing desktop icons and file programs in the start menu as others have indicated above.

Unhide.exe is still running, maybe for an 90 minutes so far and still says "processing C".

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Stop it and try to run it one more time.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users