Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Security - Rootkit uncovered

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 cumbiamo

cumbiamo

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

I initially posted on Am I infected and received direction to complete steps 6 - 9 which I have completed those that ran. I initially ws unable to run GMER but after getting errors as decribed below, it seemed to have run log attached. DDS on the other hand continues to display the error mentioned below. Thanks for your guidance

P.S. The Gmer log did not attach as it states it is too big to load .. 20,000 KB's in looking at it, it has evry file scanned. I also found an entry in a clamscan log that states /hda1/WINDOWS/BDOSCAN8/bdcore.dll: Trojan.Generic.FakeAV.WKA Found.. hope all this helps.

L
Also downloaded WD Diagnostics ran the extended test successfully.

Posted Yesterday, 06:31 PM

I was surfing when this software indicated there were threats on my PC. My AV (Avira) popped up and I directed to delete (i beleive). In any case it continued to come up and my AV no longer alerted me which I then noticed it had actually shut down. I tried ending some processes that looked odd in hopes the icon on my system tray would go away indicating I had stopped it. Without success I decided to reboot and see what happened. Unfortunately I got BSOD with the following:

Aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down...

If this is first time reboot, If appears again do following: check for virus, remove hdd, etc... Run chkdsk /f then restart...

Tech info
Stop: 0x0000007b (0xF78a6640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I tried booting up with Hiren's Boot CD ((Mini Windows Xp) and from that it seems the HDD is operating and not dead. I can get into files and save those I think are important. I have run KAV from this (without new definitions) and it came up empty, could not run MBAM as an error (runtime error 5003) would pop up and it would not proceed. I really don't know what I am doing with this CD and am actually afraid of messing with MBR or other utilities for fear of making matters worse. I can not boot up in safe mode, last known config or anything else for that matter.

I am running Win xp sp3 ... I am desparately in need to getting my system up somehow but dont know what to do in view of not being able to get windows going... I have spent the last 4 hours reading but am not confident enough to do anything without some guidance. HELP HELP HELP HELP

Runing Wix Xp Sp3 ..

Just ran SuperAntispyware within Hiren's CD Boot and found some issues but while the program says they are being removed after reboot and rescan they are still there:

Application Version : 4.27.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 0
Trace Rules Database Version: 2016

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:07:00

Memory items scanned : 143
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 61
Registry threats detected : 8
File items scanned : 15937
File threats detected : 0

Rootkit.Unclassified/USBHubB
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#ImagePath
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#DisplayName
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#Type
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#Start
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#ErrorControl
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#Tag
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhubb#Group

This post has been edited by cumbiamo: Yesterday, 07:29 PM

MultiQuote
Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 boopme

To INSANITY and BEYOND !!

Group: Moderator
Posted Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Looks like you have found a rootkit.. to prp[erly remove this and any more can you do this.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
MultiQuote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 cumbiamo

Group: Members
Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Thank you for such prompt response....
1 - I ran defogger and it seemed to be successful
2 - I tried running dds but an error came up stating

"The procedure * could not be located in the DLL sfc.dll.

3 - Ran Gmer and it ran displayed the info below. Once I uncheck and check per the instructions and run scan, it does so but errors out as well.

GMER 1.0.15.15627 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit quick scan 2011-05-19 21:22:15
Windows 5.1.2600 Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\00000029 WDC_WD1200JB-00GVA0 rev.08.02D08
Running: gmer.exe; Driver: B:\Temp\kwtdypog.sys

---- Disk sectors - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 TDL4@MBR code has been found <-- ROOTKIT !!!

---- Kernel code sections - GMER 1.0.15 ----

? \i386\System32\ntoskrnl.exe kernel module suspicious modification

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Error: x:\i386\system32\config\system: The system cannot find the file specified. once I click oK it closes not giving an opportunity to save... will keep trying

Edited by cumbiamo, 20 May 2011 - 11:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

Thanks.

DR

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

OP has PM'd me that they Reformatted.

Closing Topic
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users