Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows being screwy/quirky, or malware?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

( If you want extra details, I can provide if requested - like about my AV FP. I am posting from my not-a-smartphone which cant load a lot of pages so im finding limited info with it and has a limit to how much text I can put in. This all barely fit.)

Hi,

Today at a friend's place (I have no internet at mine) I downloaded a number of Windows Updates (WUs) for a bit out of date laptop (last got updates 25\02\2011; long story). After downloading them, dcing from the net, and restarting - I put my laptop into sleep mode for the ride home.

I woke it up when I got home, checked to make sure all WUs installed successfully, and found one WU downloaded but did not install and was pending to install tonight. I told it to do it now and it did successfully, and didnt ask me to restart (Update was KB2492386).

I then noticed WU said '3 important updates' were available instead of the 1 it should be after I installed the above (I opted not to DL IE9). It said KB2492389 was downloaded and ready to install, and KB967723 was ready to download.

I checked my WU history and both were listed as successful (967 being from 09'), and I found both in my list of installed updates.

Also, 967 only appeared after I told it to install 2492. Before I told it to install 2492 it was only '2 important updates available' - IE9, and 2492.

My question: Is Windows just being quirky/screwy like it does sometimes or is this a sign of malware/other issues? I wont be able to get online again until I visit my friend on Monday, so knowing ahead of time if I need to download any AV tools would be helpful. Also would stop me from logging into anything and protect my accounts.

Extra Info
+ PC is a Laptop which is running fine. Nothing wrong but what is listed.
+ OS is Vista home premium 64 bit
+ No internet browser was used while updating. I connected, updated, disconnected.
+ I was behind both a software and hardware firewall (router wasnt hijacked)
MABM detected Trojan.GGEB - a FP
SAS was clean.
AV detected 2 trojans (Generic.OOX) - 90% sure a FP

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2011 - 09:30 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users