Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Virus from turning off System Protection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gm1138

gm1138

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

I have Vista Home Basic, and I know that Vista prevents viruses from tampering with the System Restore folder. A few days ago I was the lucky recipient of a rootkit/trojan agent, which was able to turn off System Restore and delete/damage/prevent System Protection from working. By turning off System Restore, the virus effectively deleted all restore points, thereby preventing my computer from recovering to a previous state. This seems to negate any benefits of tamper protection.

Is it possible to prevent anything from disabling System Restore? Thanks for any advice.

Michael

PS. Although I was unable to use System Restore I was able to press F8 at startup and select "Last known good configuration." This has not removed all the issues, but it seems to have gotten rid of the really nasty stuff, and System Protection has returned.

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2011 - 09:26 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users