Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new tab king prompts auto download

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

Running xp sp3 Firefox 4 all updates done avira antivir malwarebytes...all updated etc
I downloaded this...... http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/jsct/1march2011/report/chapter11.pdf
Read it...closed it....thought no more about it.
Until.....i double clicked on the f'fox icon to open my 7 news pages home page....and the pc performed the download AGAIN.....automatically
Being a little mystified.....i closed the home pages completely...and reopened them again...same result
I also find that if i click on the + to open a new tab....this also prompts another download !! or...if i double click on ,say, softwarecrew.com...this will also trigger another download.
I did a system restore to 8.30AM this morning(when everything was its normal self), and this has made no difference.
I disabled an add on in firefox.....ghostery (only added yesterday) and new tab king (had it for quite awhile)
UPDATE....New Tab King (firefox add on ) updated itself on the 11thmay, and this prob has been there since then....i turned off ALL add ons except New tab king and ntk still did the same thing....I also turned off all plug ins and it is the same....therefore new tab king is the culprit.
can anyone think of a work around...have i missed the bleedingly obvious somewhere?/....I ask myself....why does it trigger THIS PARTICULAR download....and none of the others ????????????
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WillShattuck

WillShattuck

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

Hi Condobloke,

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer forums.

It sounds like there may be either a configuration issue with New Tab King or with your Home Page settings in Firefox. Sometimes, when closing Firefox, it will ask you if you want to save your current tabs and have them reopened the next time you open Firefox. The behavior you are describing sure seems to fit this behavior. One thing you can do is to copy down the tabs that open when Firefox opens, then delete all the Home Page links. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest uninstalling New Tab King to see if the behavior stops happening.

You can actually do that the other way around too. Uninstall New Tab King, and then if the download still happens, copy the home pages that open, then delete them and see what happens.

Let me know what you choose to do so we can see if we can fix this.

Please use this information at your own discretion.

Will

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

G'day....
1. I uninstall NTK and the behavior stops.
2. I opened firefox options to the general tab and selected to open a blank page instead of home pages,
installed NTK and the unwanted behavior does occur.
So, I have tried pretty well all combinations of with and without home pages, and i have gone to extreme lengths of even re downloading firefox...etc etc
all to no avail.
I have sent an email to Adam Green, the author of NTK,...he has acknowledged my problem, and has promised to address the issue shortly.
In the meantime...I am left to wonder why...ONLY this ONE particular download !!

I will post the "fix' as it comes to hand, for others who may be suffering from the same malaise !
Brian.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 WillShattuck

WillShattuck

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hi Brian,

I installed Firefox 4 and New Tab King. I also accidentally added a "shortcut" to the new tab window. Every time I opened up a new tab, the download for the install file would start. I was able to stop this behavior by opening a new tab, and clicking the X in the little thumbnail window that New Tab King shows. When I closed and reopened Firefox and opened a new tab the download did not happen.

Have you tried that?

Let me know.

Will

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

I open f'fox.....I have 7 homepages.They open concurrently. Each time i open the 7....download occurs. If i click on the + sign to open a new tab...another d'load occurs.
If i type into the search engine a subject......d'load does NOT occur as it loads the answer page.
If i right click on one of the answers and click open i new window....d'load occurs
If i right click and click open in new tab......no dload occurs
if i right click and click open in IE tab...no d'load occurs

Yes i have tried closing the new tab by clicking the x at the end of the tab.
i do not know where to search to try and eradicate the ...http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/jsct/1march2011/report/chapter11.pdf.......
I feel that if i could find that....and delete it...all would be good (not sure about that...but has to be worth a try....there has to be a connection somewhere !!!))

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

oops...missed a bit...
I also have a logitech mouse...which has a button on the top ...when pressed it opens a search page.......this also triggers a d'load.
So it makes no difference if i open the page/s via the f''fox icon or from the mouse...the result is the same.
i have attempted to alter the download saving spot...." ask where to save d'loads to " etc etc ...no diffference.
I did forget to mention....when this first started i did a system restore to the previous day. no diff.

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users