Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Drives

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sabrams

Sabrams

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

Okay, here's the situation:

Mechanically the drives, a DVD and a CD-ROM drives, work fine. Push the button and they open up like normal. Now the wierd part is that nothing gets recognized in there. When I open My Computer the drives aren't even listed. In the Device Manager it shows 5 items under DVD/CD-ROMS: my writer, the DVD driver, and "OH1039M CDN955O SCSI Cdrom Device" appears 3 times in a row.

When I check the properties of any of the items listed abovre I get this message in the box:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Could someone please help me? I really need to get these up and running soon or I'll have a literal disaster on my hands!! I'm making a special anniversary gift for my fiancee and all the info is only on here! If I can't get all those things on a disc soon then there is no way I can make her special gift. ((It's a collection of all the Love Hina episodes, specials, and manga.)) ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

Try to uninstall the controller they are on , restart your computer and let windows detect and reinstall it.
You also could have a failed comtroller. If so you will need a PCI IDE controller. Just disable the onboard secondary controller and your system will do the reset at reboot.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Sabrams

Sabrams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, I uninstalled them but that did nothing upon reboot.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Does the secondy controller appear in the Device Manager?

#5 Sabrams

Sabrams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

They aren't attached to anything marked "______ Controller" They are all under DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm sorry I should have asked, do you have SCSI CDroms on your computer?

#7 Sabrams

Sabrams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

One SCSI and RAID controller and in DVD/CD-ROM there are 3 that I have no clue on.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

So you have 4 CDs and 1 DVD?

Edited by acklan, 05 January 2006 - 12:43 AM.

#9 Sabrams

Sabrams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

Physically, I only have 1 DVD and 1 CD. The darn thing is telling me about those drives but I don't have a clue when the goit installed. Hell, I hadn't seen them before I checked the Device Manager.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

You've got a problem with recognizing the CD and DVD in your system. Those extra CD/DVD drives are probably what's causing your problem.

Do you have any yellow !'s or red x's in Device Manager?

I don't know much about RAID or SCSI - so I'll leave that alone.

Try disabling the extras, one at a time, and seeing if that improves the situation.

As long as you haven't disabled it, Windows will log an error to the Event log automatically on any crash.

So, go to the Event Viewer (Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer) and left click once on the word "System" in the left hand pane. Then, scan the listings in the right hand pane looking for errors that occurred around the time of the restarts.

Once you've found it, right click on it and select "Properties". There'll be a bunch of info about the error there - just copy it down and post it here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users