Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 obxdude018

obxdude018

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

Ok, I'm trying to get my overclock up more than what it is, it may not be designed to go any further, but we will see, ok I have core voltage set at 1.44 volts and the cpu oc'ed to 3.8ghz, last night I tried to bump it up to 4.2ghz and the computer restarted, but didn't load bios or nothing, it just stayed with a blank black screen. Is this a matter of not enough voltage or just can't push it further.

Specs
Gigabyte MA790X Mobo
AMD Phenom 2 940 B.E.
G Skill 8Gb Ram
Radeon 4850 Crossfire
Corsair H70 Cooling
850W PSU
32GB SSD
640GB HDD

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1821731

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Your overclock is just about exactly in line with what you can expect (upper end of the curve though). 3.8 at 1.44v is fairly impressive. Max voltage is 1.5V, safe voltage that is, and some can hit 4.0 at 1.5v, some can't. 4.2ghz might be tough at any reasonable voltage.

4.0 ghz at 1.5v is a safe target, maybe 1.55v since you are water cooled. 4.0ghz is only a little over 5% faster than 3.8ghz, not a lot at all.

Edited by dpunisher, 19 May 2011 - 09:59 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users