Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP on Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hey all,

I have to say that this has been my worst nightmare come true. I have recently set up my Dell powerEdge T110 server at home to replace an aging older Dell Dimension E510. I'm setting it up for one of it's first tasks which is to act as an FTP file server for me and those around me. I'm using the combination of server and client of Blackmoon FTP Server (www.blackmoonftpserver.com), and the client software Web Drive FTP client (www.southrivertech.com). My OS version is Windows server 2008 R2 Foundation edition. My issue is this. I have set up a single user account on the FTP server so as to test the connection internally on my local network using my private IP address till I can make sure that works before I go getting accounts on either zoneedit or No-IP.org and messing with port forwarding in the router. Interestingly enough, my internal private IP seems to be dynamic. It was 192.168.1.2 when I first tried this out a few weeks ago, and today when I booted up the server, it stands at 192.168.1.6. (My friend reminded me though that was because I had had the unit switched off until I could get back here). I have the server set for passive mode on the FTP side of things and I've opened ports 1058 to 1060 as the port range on the firewall (default windows firewall). I also opened port 21 for file transfers. Even with both rules set up in the firewall with advanced security, I still can't get this to work even on my internal network. What am I doing wrong? I'll be delighted to post any logs or other information you may need. Thanks so much in advance.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Server does default to using DHCP unless you set up a static IP manually. what kind of error messages are you recieving?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

I get: Connecting to site Blind access and support
Connecting to 192.168.1.6
Connecting to 192.168.1.6 on port 21

Unable to connect to server, error information below

Error: Socket connect failed to the server. (4504)
Winsock Error: WSAETIMEDOUT (10060)

Suggestion

A firewall may be blocking the connection. Check your XP firewall to make sure the port is not blocked.
This seems to be aimed at the client firewall, which I didn't do anything with. I can understand if you don't understand half of the message above. Not even the developer of the FTP Server I use can understand it. So is it the client or the server I'm having issues with? Because there is a firewall on both units, which one needs to be configured where? Thanks. And how do you change the server from using DHCP on the internal network? Thanks for any more feedback, and if there's anything else you need, I'll send it right over.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Is there a log entry of the windows firewall that I can send so that you can directly access my configuration? I know that the event log provides logging for it. Do you want me to post that? Maybe there's something I missed. I'll also ask South River Tech support what is meant by a winsock error in this situation. I've seen that error rarely, but sometimes it does occur in certain cases. Let me know what's next. Thanks.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hi again,
I just wanted to say that I captured some logs from my server's events that show the creations and modifications of the rules I created in the firewall for this program, and I'm wondering if they'd benefit you at all? let me know and I'll post them.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

I read throught some of the Blackmoon FTP manual and I think what you are trying to do will cause you more problems later. You should set it up as you want it later otherwise you will probably run into other problems later trying to change over. No-IP.org doesn't seem to be needed as the software has a passive IP option that should allow you to have access from the internet without using NO-IP.org. First thiing to do is set you server to a static address on the private LAN. Check your router since it is supplying the IP addressing and if it is available set a DHCP reservation for the server. This will ensure it gets the same IP every time is starts and that no other computer on the network can recieve that address. I always leave a small space at the beginning of my IP addressing by starting the DHCP address space at 192.168.1.100 so I have room for other static or reserved addresses for things like servers or printers.

Once that is done you will need to configure Blackmoon using the Passive IP setup. Read carefully the sections on port forwarding and NAT to configure everything properly. One of the things I noticed is that the software recommends opening a ten port range so pay special attention to that.
Mark Twain

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

I'll have to do that. Thanks. But the question is how to do this and be able to test it locally (which I've got going using Vipre's firewall since that's my chosen antivirus and security solution for the unit anyway), it's just permissions I need to get going. But the reason why I mentioned No-IP.org is because my IP address is dynamic, or my WAN IP is anyway. I have no idea what our current internet cost is, but since internet and television are wound into one monthly cost, it seems tedious on all of us to switch internet accounts just for a static IP address on one machine, doesn't it? and then if I wanted to tie the IP to my domain, or to a temporary domain considering my current domain already has an FTP server attached to it because of my current host provider. How then do I get that taken care of without resorting to another service such as no-IP? And then this guy who took a look at my router said that the router doesn't support DHCP reservation. How then do I get around that issue without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a new router? Or even better, how can I configure my server only to connect directly to the internet bypassing the router altogether without effecting the rest of the household? Thanks for all your help so far.

Chromebuster

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

Lets do one thing at a time here. Can you post the make, model and revision of your router? I will look at it and determine the best way to set a static IP for the server. If your are going have other people accessing the server from the internet that are not your family I would suggest a static IP. The only thing that changes when you get a static IP is the setup at the router. Everything else stays the same. Check into costs as on most residential services ISP's will not issue a static IP so you might have to bump up to a business class service. You need to be static on the server or the forwarding will get messed up everytime the DHCP shifts addresses.
Mark Twain

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

How can I find that information without looking at the device itself. I'd need a sighted person's help if I had to look at the device. And interestingly enough, I've rebooted the server only a couple of times, and the IP address showing through whatismyip.org is 108.7.32.118, which is what it was the last time I checked. That doesn't mean I'm static, and I know that, but it might mean that my IP doesn't change often. And the developer of Blackmoon said that it's fine to use No-IP.org for a subdomain, and when my web hosting agreement ends with I7Media, I can use no-IP+ to get their services for my own domain. But tell me something. I ran some port availability tests like last week ( once on my laptop up in New Hampshire, and once here with my server). In New Hampshire because it's a different internet service provider, testing port 21 led to a refusal of the connection rather than a timeout. Ports 80 and 8008 timed out, but I was expecting that. Here at home, all ports I tested timed out (even port 9998, which will be used for a web-based control panel for HMailServer eventually). And in neither place did I have ports forwarded in the router. isn't that odd?

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

If you log into the router the model and firmware version should be listed there. Usually on the first page that opens. I would expect if you check your IP address it would be the same very often since the DHCP lease will be renewed before it actually ends. However remember that is the address of the WAN side of the router not the server. It is possible that with the port thing that the refusal was directly related to the service provider there. I would expect the ports to time out if they aren't forwarded because that is the default response from omst routers to a port scan. It basically just drops the packet like that port doesn't exist.
Mark Twain

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

Thanks so much. I'll check that when I can. And I was certainly aware of that, but I want to keep a monitor on it to see if I can give that to zoneedit, or if I first have to use a dynamic DNS service (although, duh, zonedit has that), and I'm not worried about ports, because I can always use port redirect if I choose no-IP instead. I have since uninstalled the file server because the developer needs to make a change to one of it's most important interfaces that has an accessibility glitch in that screen readers can't access the permissions per group/user, and until he does, I have no file server options, for there's none comparable to it that offers business grade features with a non-discriminatory price. (in other words, home users are charged the same for the same features as business users because the developer understands that home users sometimes need to run business grade products). Though I don't consider myself a home user, but that's probably beside the point for one, and it's probably my ego getting the better of me for two. Well anyway, I'll be back with the model number and name in a bit.

#12 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

Darn it. I can't get in there. I made a change to it, and then we had to have the router reset a while ago, and I had hoped that reset the password to the default, and it was so long ago, that now I don't remember what I changed it to. I know that this board can't give advice on that. I'll have to have my father reset it for me I guess.

#13 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hey Chromebuster,

Can i just confirm that the server has a statically assigned local IP address and that you have NAT rules in place on your router forwarding the FTP port to that server?

BT
-BrendanT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users