Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello From A New Member

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joeschmoe714

joeschmoe714

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

hey everybody!
ive been reading the self help forums on how to remove these particular spyware/malware programs and most of them say to use hijackthis, but my problem is that something has gotten its dirty hooks into my O.S. (winXP sp1) and i cannot run microsoft antispyware/hijackthis, or any program for that matter that would be able to alleviate my problems.
ive rebooted my computer and tried in safe mode, the results are always the same.
any input on this matter would be appreciated.

thanks,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

At the core of the eradication techiques is "preliminary" use of updated specific anti-spyware and anti-virus applications, generally followed with targeted and carefully selected use of HJT's ability to modify files and the registry.

Some malware does indeed prevent the use of these tools, by design, since that's "their game".

OK

winXP in your case has probably been crippled to some degree.
I'll ask some questions that will help determine the sequence of what to do now in defense.

1. what type of PC do you run, exactly? (techniques vary by PC manufacturers/OS loads)
2. can you download/install applications? (usually some can be when others might not)
3. you need to try online anti-virus sites. Have you yet?
4. what is on your hard drive that IS anti-virus protection now? Updated?
5. besides Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta, what is on your hard drive for anti-spyware protection?
6. is windows firewall on? any other firewall involved?

HJT will run, it might need some special attention to do so first.
When it does, we want to guide you, so after these questions are answered
we'll have more info for you that should enable you to post a log and get
the help you need in the way you need it.

Roll your sleeves up, it's gettin' serious.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 joeschmoe714

joeschmoe714
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

1. Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 P4 2.0 512 ddr ram, 60 gig, win xp pro sp1
2. i can download/install applications, but i cannot run all of them. i can run adaware, and spybot. that is all.
3. i tried the Panda, and the TrendMicro Housecall system and neither of them would scan my pc.
4. i have Norton 2003, my last antivirus update was dec. 13th 2005, i ran a deep scan with high heuristics but the search came back negative.
5. anti-spyware from microsoft obviously, lavasoft adaware, spybot search and destroy, hijackthis.
6. My windows firewall was on. i was running e-trust ez firewall but i do not have it anymore.

i know i need to run a firewall, its only been a few weeks though.
my system is usually fairly well protected, but obviously there are things i can do to make it more secure.
thanks for all your help.

chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users