Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting some old info out of a Win 98

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Panheadchick

Panheadchick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

This is my first post & I thank you in advance for any help someone can help me with. I know it's fairly easy to get old info off on old comp to a new if both are working. My case is a bit different. I will try to be brief yet informative as possible.

Background: Moved into MILs basement after housefire and she had HP comp w/Win 98 & Aol Dialup. {I'll call it Comp#1) Long story short - arguments got our AOL acct turned off and phone service turned off next. I still used the Comp#1 to download and edit some 500 pictures, my album collection onmy M/Soft Office database and some Grokster music I had saved. Maybe 10 folders in all.

I recently got a new Computer (Comp#2) a Dell w/wireless access w/our tenant upstairs. I would like to take the old info off Comp#1, which would be easy if it worked. Someone told me to copy it onto a CD - However, recently Comp#1s CD door started opening/shutting - opening/shutting.

So the big question: Is there a way to bring my info over from Comp#1 to Comp#2? I don't want all the info, just the couple of folders I mentioned. My tenant can probably do it, I just don't know if how much he'll charge me or if theres a way I can do it myself.

Sorry, I tried to keep it short as possible, and THANK YOU in advance for anyone that can help me. You are appreciated.

Panheadchick - Cheryl
Panheads ForeverPosted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Maybe the simplest thing to do would be to just replace the burner on the 98 system.
Its about a 15 minute job and burners are pretty cheap these days. Less than 40 bucks.
Then you can burn your data to cd that way.

A second option might be to take the drive out of the 98 system and attach it to another machine to copy the data over that way. You didnt say if the new system was a laptop or tower.
Make & model of that system might help us as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

Or borrow a portable or external hard drive to transfer it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Panheadchick

Panheadchick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Thank you Eyesee and killerx525 for your help, it is apppreciated. It never dawned on me to say if it was a laptop or tower.

It is a tower - Dell Inspiron 546/AMD Anthlon II X4 620 Processor/4.00 GB/64-bit Operating System. I don't even know if it's considered a good computer or not - I didn't pick it out - Fedex dropped it off one day - a gift from a half-sister who had found me 6 months previous.

I am going to go w/Eyesees' second option. I asked my tenant which option he could do for me and what he would charge me and all he asked for was an oil change for his car! My husband and I repair and restore vintage motorcycles and cars, so all it would cost us is for the filter and our time.

killerx525, don't laugh, but I don't even know what a portable or external hard drive is or looks like! I can work on a Chevy 350 motor with my eyes closed and tell any pre-1973 car from 5 blocks away, but when it comes to computers, I don't even try to go past Control Panel. In the past I did things that deleted things that for some strange reason the computer needed to work.

Again, thank you both for your kindness and your help. If you ever need any car advice, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheryl

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum Cheryl.

You could try the option given of the simple way is to buy a flash drive now it must be compatible with Win98 as you will need drivers to operate it. Then just drag and dop all folders you want to save for Comp#2. I've used 2GB Kingston flash drives on my Win98SE which is the largest size that works with Win98.

As mensioned you haven't said if its a desktop or laptop. Depending on the size of these folders and file you could WinZip them and stick them on a floppy disc thats if both comps have floppy drives? :wink:

Ok you've just replied before I posted this. So its a tower system but what is Comp#2. External Hard Drives, even these will have to be configured so Win98 can read them.

Edited by Keithuk, 20 May 2011 - 11:15 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

install the old drive as a secondary on new computer & trash the old one(computer)

Installing a hard drive is not difficult

Edited by USN Vet, 20 May 2011 - 11:35 AM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

The drive in the 98 system is an IDE interface.
Checking your new system it uses SATA interface so you wont be able to use it.

Easiest thing to do is to take the drive out. See if your tennant has a system that has a cdrom drive that is IDE. Many are. Then simply disconnect the ribbon & power leats from the cdrom drive and attach them to your drive.
Thats the simplest way to do it.

A trade for an oil change is fair.
Heck, I would do it for that!
My car needs an oil change HAHA!

#8 Panheadchick

Panheadchick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

The drive in the 98 system is an IDE interface.
Checking your new system it uses SATA interface so you wont be able to use it.

Easiest thing to do is to take the drive out. See if your tennant has a system that has a cdrom drive that is IDE. Many are. Then simply disconnect the ribbon & power leats from the cdrom drive and attach them to your drive.
Thats the simplest way to do it.

A trade for an oil change is fair.
Heck, I would do it for that!
My car needs an oil change HAHA!

IDE..SATA interface...power leats???? That's not even Greek to me, it's some sort of alien language. I think my tenant has the right stuff to do it, (his computers have their own room) and he knows both my computers so I think he can do it.

Or if you really need that oil change that bad....Kansas isn't that far from New Jersey...... :wink:

Thanks to all of you, I really do appreciate your help and making me feel welcome here.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

If you throw in an AC charge I would be a real happy camper!! :hysterical:

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

Forget the SATA drive as the connections are different (as said) just stick with a Flash drive.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

I tried a new trick to me on a clients SATA computer, I unplugged his CD Rom IDE cable and power and plugged in an old 40 gig drive. Rebooted to get the drive recognized then pulled off his info worked like a charm. That negates screwing around with other options.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

That's precisely the way to do it too!

Easy, simple, no additional drivers required.
I do it all the time.

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

That's precisely the way to do it too!

Easy, simple, no additional drivers required.
I do it all the time.

I will second that one.

With care it can be also used to do many other things, BUT, always make sure that your own AV and Anti-Malware Programs are completely up to date and are truelly working, FIRST!

Some times we just assume that they work, until the real Crunch? Then we can have serious Problems, ourselves?

Best to just sneak up on the Problem and fix it.

Example of this, without details, at this stage, is regarding tracking down an obvious Virus/Malware. The HDD can be checked, without opening the Drive, and any thing found eliminated with little risk. I certainly have used this Option for many years.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 30 May 2011 - 01:39 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users