Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro stuck in lo res

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi there,

I have a PC which has got stuck in low res and lowest quality colour. I have tried to adjust the settings in control panel-display-settings but the screen res slider will not move and the colour quality drop down menu only has lowest 4bit showing.

This seems to have been caused when the monitor became accidentally disconnected from the machine during boot up. I have tried system restore but that has had no effect.
Is there a way to get things back to normal again. I hope nothing in the box has been damaged by the disconnect.

Machine is running XP Pro with a P4 1.8Ghz and 1.25Gb RAM

Many thanks

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

Tried reinstalling video drivers?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

I think you might need to reinstall your video drivers.

Whats the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. On looking in device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the Nvidia Riva TNT2 model 64/model 64 pro entry in Display adapters. If I left click on there and look at general tab in properties there is the message ''This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.''.

The driver tab gives the driver version as 5.6.7.3 and clicking on driver details shows the file version to be 6.14.10.5673.

By ''the make/model of the system'' do you mean the computer itself? If so it is a home built machine put together by a guy I used to know which I've used for about 8 years. I don't think it has a make or model name.

Thanks

David

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Try these

#6 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the link.

I installed the new drivers but there's no change. I still can't adjust the res/colour settings.

Thanks

David

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

No, there's an I/O or IRQ conflict that occurred when you plugged the display in after the system booted. Do this:

Right-click on a command prompt icon and run as adminstrator
Enter: bcdedit /set CONFIGACCESSPOLICY DISALLOWMMCONFIG
Reboot

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Just realized you're using XP. The above command may not work with XP. If it doesn't, try this: right-click on the nvidia card in device manager and uninstall it. Then reboot. Windows will see it and, hopefully, assign a new irq. You should then be able to reinstall the correct driver.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

But monitors dont use IRQs or I/O addresses and should not conflict with those assigned in the system in any way.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

The error in device manager is associated with the display card.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'm guessing the because the connection wasn't complete until the display was connected the nvidia card was assigned a new (and conflicting) address. I may be mistaken, but that's how it looks to me.

Not your typical situation, I agree.

#12 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

@ Allan... Thanks for those ideas. SAdly neither have worked. The cmd line prompt was not recognised by windows so I uninstalled Nvidia and rebooted. Windows recognised it as a new device and I reinstalled it but everything is still the same. I have the same message in the properties window.

Thanks

David

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

It's possible that your video chip/card is dying.

Louis

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

Well, here's what I suggest (before doing anything, I suggest either creating an image of your system drive with disk imaging software - create the image to either a second hd if you have one or to cd or dvd --- or, at the very least, backing up any critical data to off disk media).

1) Easiest thing to try is to open the computer and see if there is a different slot available for the Video Card. If there is, move it there and reboot. Did that help? If not,

We go to the slightly more difficult procedure:

1) Check for a bios update. If there is one, install it.
2) Clear the CMOS (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm).
3) If you had previously made any changes in bios, go back in and reconfigure to your liking - otherwise, leave it alone.
4) Reboot. With any luck, you're back in business. If not, you may be relegated to either a repair install or, as a last resort, a complete format and reinstall.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Im curious if the system was off when you disconnected the monitor.

Also, what other cards (if any) are in the system?
Either move the card like Allan suggests or at a minimum remove it and reseat it.
Maybe its a tad loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users