Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop RAM Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DJD520

DJD520

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

I have a Acer Aspire v5252 laptop here. It is running Windows 7 Premium and came with 2GB of PC3-8500 1066MHz (1GB * 2) RAM.

I recently ordered a 4GB PC-8500 1066MHz) RAM module. I took out one of the 1GB modules and put the 4GB module in it's place, now there is a 1GB and 4GB module in the slots. I realize that this is mismatched; different size and different manufacturer.

I started up the laptop and it recognized a total of 5GB RAM. Cool, right? For some reason, it is running slower and freezes more often than usual. I decided to boot up my Memtest86 disk (that test is currently running and hasn't finished) to see what was wrong.

My question is: if it does turnout that the problem is because of the mismatched RAM, could I just leave out the 1GB module, only leaving the new 4GB module? Would that solve the problem? Or do I have to return this and go buy a 4GB kit (2GB * 2)?

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: And if I remove the 1GB, will the performance still suffer because of the loss of dual-channel? Even with 4GB RAM?

Edited by DJD520, 19 May 2011 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechSafer

TechSafer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Try taking out the 1GB Stick.

It Cant hurt.

Hope this helps

Louis