Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow death for KBD, then USB KBD does same

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hola,
I have a Compaq C500, XP Pro sp3, fully updated. Two Users, a passworded account with my name and password plus Guest.
A month ago the kbd had a bit of a spill of apple juice. After recovering from that it worked ok for a few days. Then the U and I keys slowly developed problems and eventually quit after 3 weeks of daily use. Over the next week the rest of the keys quit. There were no survivors.
I added a no-name USB kbd that has a Windows symbol on it. So it should be compatible. This kbd works fine on all my other pc's, auto installs just fine in XP and 7. So I started using this USB kbd, and WIN was finding it on boot, allowing me to use it to log in to my User account. Then a few days on this kbd starts acting up. It would spontaneously uninstall and reinstall, but then start working again. Then it got worse, frequent re-installs, then I couldn't use it to log in. I had to click on Guest account and try typing in Notepad for a few taps on a key before it started typing. Then I could use the kbd to log in. After another week that trick quit working. Now it wont work at all.
I checked the hidusb.sys file and it is there. So now I can't type unless I use the on screen kbd in Guest account. No way to check BIOS or do anything requiring the Admin level. Today I tried other "known working" kbds without success.
Can anyone explain this slow death and how I recover? To do anything involving drivers, installs, MrFixit, hotfixes all require Admin level. I cant get On Screen kbd access to open on the log in screen, I have no Win+U buttons available. Any slick tricks to solve this??
Thanks
mannshands :angry:

Edited by mannshands, 19 May 2011 - 10:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

Used onboard kbd in Guest to access CP/Users 2. Logged on as admin, removed passwords. Now I can do Admin stuff.
I tried Puppy Linux with USB kbd plugged in and it works with usb kbd from the first install step!
What next besides make this a linux box??

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

Two things come to mind here.

Number one, do you have a PS2 connector on the motherboard? If you do, have you tried a regular PS2 keyboard?

Number two, have you tried plugging your USB keyboard into another USB port?

Sometimes those ports can go bad, their electrical connections can become damaged to the point where the connection between the plug and socket becomes non-existent.

Since you have changed keyboards I tend to believe the problem is in your USB connector you are currently using.

There could also by an oxidation problem where the USB port is wired to the motherboard, that is of course if your current USB port is not physically attached to the motherboard, in a case such as this a cable will connect the USB port to the motherboard, this connection can become faulty if chemical oxidation takes place, oxidation acts like a mechanical barrier, preventing the current and data from entering the motherboard from the USB port.

Please check how that port connects to the motherboard, if it wired, try removing the plugs from their connection and plug them back in again and try the keyboard again.

Or try a different USB port.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 May 2011 - 03:47 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:25 AM

Hi,
no PS2 on this laptop. I have tried all 3 usb ports with same esult.

I shutdown after linux experiment. Now I cannot power up. No lights at all. Going to get a multimeter to test power lead.

I should note just before the usb kbd totally quit I was getting "unrecognized device-may not work" error msgs during the spontaneous un/re-installs.

I believe the success of the linux expirement shows this to be Windows related problem.
I also think the usb must be directly connected to the mobo in a laptop, or is this wrong? Are you suggesting I have to strip the laptop down to examine the usb/mobo connection?
Cheers!

UPDATE
Power cord is fine. I am beginning to think I may have to disassemble this, only to find residual fructose ,possible slowely dripped onto something as the unit heated up during testing??? :wacko:

Edited by mannshands, 21 May 2011 - 06:58 AM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

I am going to provide you with a link to download a Free service manual for your laptop.

Please follow my instructions closely and you will safely download the .pdf (Adobe reader required) without clicking a link that will offer you software you are NOT interested in downloading.

Please go to this link below:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/38426/HP%20COMPAQ_C500.html

click this link. You should be offered a file named HP_C500_C300_c00753552.pdf Please download and save to a known location on your hard drive. I have personally downloaded this file and scanned it with MalwareBytes anti-malware and Microsoft Security Essentials it passed both scans so it is safe to download

Please let me know if you were able to get this document successfully, this should help you with disassembling your laptop.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 May 2011 - 09:10 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

Got it. Thanks for the manual. It appears quite comprehensive.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yes, it will certainly come in quite handy when ever you need to service this unit. The service manual also includes trouble shooting flow charts and complete laptop disassembly instructions. It also lists the exact manufacturer's recommended replacement parts along with the part order numbers, so there no guess work involved when you have those numbers! :thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users