Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tips on Cleaning System Unit

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

Dust accumulation may cause your machine not to function the way it should. So maintain it as clean as possible. Setting your computer in a closed airconditioned room would be nice but for those who don't have such room (like myself), we should take extra effort in cleaning our system unit.

Here are some things that I observe when doing so:

• Avoid possible static discharge towards your machine.

Our body releases static electricity that might cause serious problem to your machine. There is a tool used to solve this it's some sort of a bracelet in which you attach one end to a metal (or to the case of your system unit). This would channel your static electricity towards the metal. I don't personally use this though. Holding every once in awhile to a metal attached to the ground should do the trick.
  • Never detach the fan covering the CPU if you are not that sure with what you are doing.

Doing this improperly might cause serious problem to your CPU so rather leave it to the experts. On the other hand, if you are sure of what you are doing, then go ahead. If you are not sure of it but still want to give it a try then that would be at your own risk. We learn from our mistakes though.
  • Use a brush without any magnetic properties.

There have been dusters available in the market now with these magnetic features. This might also cause electric discharge towards your system part. So, rather stick with the normal brush.

For heavy dust buildups, especially on fans, I use a vacuum cleaner which sucks air at one end and blows at the other end. I use the other end to blow off dust buildups. This works fine with my machine and I was able to clean hard to reach areas (beneath the CPU fan, power supply, etc.)

Note: This might result to large cloud of dust, especially if your machine have accumulated these dusts for years. So, better do it in an open area where ventilation is good.

Any comments, suggestions, and corrections would be highly appreciated.

:warrior: :ph34r: :warrior:

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

You should not use a vacuum cleaner or a brush. The best way to clear dust from the inside of a computer is by GENTLY blowing with a can of compressed air - preferably one designed for use with electronic equipment (less chance of liquid buildup).

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the comment:

But just to clarify:

What I'm using is the air blowing from the other end of the vacuum cleaner (it's originally intended for blow drying) and I keep it relatively distant from the unit to avoid too much heat from the blown air. With regards to brush I'm using a brush that is used for electrical boards. Would this things still do harm to the system?

Any clarifications regarding this would really be a great help for everyone here.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 19 May 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

Have you guys ever tried a hair dryer to blow the dust out? I use the hair dryer which blows some strong cool air out which helps me clean it out fully.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Killerx525,

Well, I guess that is perfectly fine as long as it does not result to moisture build up. I think that is also the concern of Allan in his reply above.

Mine was actually an experiment and so far, I don't see any negative result of what I did. My machine is working better now with the dust taken out. Experts advice are greatly appreciated to refine the Original post at the beginning of this thread.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

I love the blowing power of the hairdryer and it is much better then a can of compressed air but it can not into little spaces.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

i know Allan is likely right ,but i have been cleaning computers for over 10 yrs with
a combo of a upright vacuum hose/small brush attachment ,soft paint brush and canned air ,and have never damaged any of them [YET]
live in a climate where people heat with oil and coal ,and smoke a lot ,and cant imagine any of the blow dryers in the house blowing the sticky thick dust off of them .

Edited by caperjac, 22 May 2011 - 01:39 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

I too have used a vacuum and a toothbrush for years with no ill effects. my bench has an anti-static mat on top and a piece on the floor which i stand on.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

Soft paint brush are awesome to use when cleaning. I have 2 sizes, one large and one small :thumbsup:

>Michael 

#10 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

love the hair dryer idea, i also have used vacuum cleaners with no ill effects on my OWN systems only just in case.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

You should try the hair dry idea, it is a lot easier to setup and it is way smaller. Just remember to have your hair dryer to blow out cold air not hot.

>Michael 

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:45 AM

right now i do most of my cleaning in the kitchen on the table ,so i cant be blowing it out ,i go outside on the step to use the can air most of the time will try it some day though

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users