Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixed one problem created another

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 longboarder

longboarder

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

We are running Windows XP with two profiles, mine and my wife's. Her profile was hit by the XP Anti-virus 2011 malware, which prevented her from even getting on the Internet. I went to my profile, downloaded MBAM and ran it, which apparently was successful in ridding the computer of the XP Anti-virus trojan. The problem is that my wife now is unable to access the control panel from her profile. The following error message appears: "c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe application not found" she also is not able to open up Safari, getting the following error message: "Safari application not found" she is, however, able to open up Explorer. One more thing, none of these problems occur in my profile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

Time to create her another profile and delete the other one.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

For your wife's issue with Control Panel you can try this:

Go here and download and run the CPL File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for CPL files). Restart the computer and see if that resolves the problem. If not, then download and run the EXE File Association Fix from that same page.

As for Safari, you can try reinstalling it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users