Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card dying?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NovaPulse

NovaPulse

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

ok wasn't really sure how to label this topic. I am confused about what is going on with my pc right. I have an alienware m15x laptop that I have had for about 2 years and now i'm suddenly having problems with my screen when I play games.

Now an important fact is I am playing a pc game called "Area 51" and i highly doubt that game is graphics heavy since the game came out in 2005. When I start the game it plays fine for 10 to 15 minutes and all of a sudden the game freezes for 2 seconds and then plays normal again BUT the screen is blurry and looks like scanlines. The funny thing is, only the left half of the screen has this problem and the right side looks normal.

I have tried low settings in the game to see if it does the same thing and it does. If i continue to play the game with these scanlines, it finally craps out on me and doesn't respond.

If I put my laptop in hibernation, and turn it back on, the scanlines disappear and the screen is normal again. I just want to figure out if my video card is dying or is it another problem I am not aware of. Ironically the alienware is for gaming but I barely game on my laptop so I don't know what is going on. Any ideas? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

Only thing I can suggest id going to this link and try downloading drivers for your video card.

http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads.aspx

Only thing I am slightly confused about is why mention is made at this page about if you purchased your device before September 2009 use this page, I would guess that Dell bought them out? Also the drop down menus on this page are not selectable for some reason, at least not for me, so i looked at it will ALL selected on all the drop down menus.

I suppose if I knew what OS you had, I could have made the other menus selectable, but you failed to mention what OS you are using.

Just click the search button and look for a possible video driver.

I am also curious why some of the drivers mention Area 51.

An example is this one here: [Area-51] AA8XE Chipset Driver 6.2.1.1001

Another question I have is have you checked the laptop to see if maybe dust build up is the possible issue here?

If the laptop case feels rather warm to hot, you could be experiencing over heating of the video processor.

The video card could also be failing, which I hope is not the case here since that is usually soldered right to the motherboard.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 May 2011 - 10:44 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 NovaPulse

NovaPulse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have checked the inside and cleaned it out, but there was hardly any dust in there to begin with.

I also downloaded speedfan and these are the readings i got:

GPU: 57 degrees C (it has a flame symbol next to it so i'm guessing it is really hot)

HD0: 38 degrees C (it has a green check next to it)

Temp1: 80 degrees C (has a flame symbol next to it)

Core 0: 30 degrees C (green check)

Core 1: 35 degrees C (green check)

so the gpu and Temp1 are always shown with a flame symbol...and this is reading from idle. When I play games such as Area 51, these temps jump about 5 degrees.

I probably won't get any help from dell because they ask for a service tag...which i don't have one because i apparently bought this laptop from out of states. (I ordered from their official website and could have sworn it came from florida).

Oh and my OS is windows vista 32bit

Edited by NovaPulse, 20 May 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

To clarify temperature here, can you post a screenshot of HW Monitor when the computer is idle?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 NovaPulse

NovaPulse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

ok here is the screenshot of my readings from that program.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users