Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 - Not recognizing all of my HD.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Feiton

Feiton

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hi,

Having some real snags with a recently put together new rig.

Here are my computer specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core
MB: BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Mem: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
HD: 500 Gb
Video: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
PSU: Rosewill 500 W

That hard drive is a HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB.

For some reason Windows is only reporting 127 GB of it's 500 Gb total. I know that most drives will only report under it and it should be under 500 Gb but...this has me perplexed.

I went into Windows recovery console and it reports 476,837 MB total.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Cheers,
Feiton

Edited by Feiton, 19 May 2011 - 12:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:18 AM

Using Disk Manager I can see that 337.77 Gb have been unallocated.

How does this happen?

How can I get the entire space lumped up together. I rather not have a partition.

Attached Files

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

Just a few guesses/comments.

The fact that the partition is 137GB...indicates that the CD used to install XP did not reflect contain at least SP1.

XP SP1 Overcomes 137GB Barrier - http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/large_disk_size_120gb_barrier_for_windows.htm

That is not a problem in itself.

As for adding the remainder of the drive to the current partition...I suggest not doing that. The larger the Windows partition is, the longer it takes for routine maintenance (chkdsk/defrag) to perform. The more data that is placed on the Windows partition, the less protection a user has in case something goes wrong with that partition.

I would just use Disk Management to create a new storage partition, using the current unallocated space on the hardd drive.

Louis

#4 Feiton

Feiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

Yeah this copy of XP is old and then I install SP 1, 2 and 3 manually and have Windows XP do the rest.

I ended up merging the unallocated space. I hear what you saying about the partition. I will eventually spilt it up when I start install more software.

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2011 - 10:44 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users