Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update and Automatic Updates not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arkansas

Arkansas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

PC was infected with XP Internet Security 2011. The Rogue Virus superimposed it's window over everything. It blocked MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes from running and prevented IE8 and Firefox from being able to open. I downloaded a program called VipreRescue which is a full fledged AV program with current definitions. I loaded it to a thumb drive and ran it from the command line. It got the virus but afterward I could not open executables as everything asked for what program to open with. The problem was a corrupt rundll32.exe file in c:\windows\system32. A File Association fix from DonKnox.com fixed that problem and allowed the executables to run. I was able to download MS Security Essentials and MalwareBytes and their latest updates.Both show the PC free of Viruses, spyware, etc. As far as I can tell, the only remaining problems were that Windows Update will not work properly even after reinstallation and Automatic Updates Shows in the Control Panel as being "On" but it does not show up in running services. Neither Windows Update or Automatic Updates work. There may be other stuff not working but, one step at a time. Any help with this will be gladly accepted with gratitude.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddha Kahn

Buddha Kahn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

I had the same problem after taking out Antivirus Antimalware 2011. It was caused by the corruption of the registry key for windows update.

Go here:

http://www.techiecorner.com/112/error-number-0x80070424-in-windows-update-solution/

It will explain it. You hit the 'run', type this into the command line:

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL

Worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users