Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing application icons

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sprayhawk

sprayhawk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Windows 2003 server that was infected with Windows Recover malware. I've followed the removal instructions found on bleepingcomputer and the box is running more normally - files are 'back'.

Remaining issue is that all of the icons for the programs are still missing. Programs run fine from the command line (word, excel) or by creating new shortcuts.

Is there a utility to recover the actual icons - especially the server icons?

TIA,
Byron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

see what a Bing search turns up. I've never seen this one before, but I'm sure that it can happen.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

All of the program icons are essentially shortcuts. Are they gone from the start menu? Server stuff are all MMC based. You can create your own by typing mmc in run and then adding whatever modules you want. I doubt there is a program that can do what you are asking since each server and computer is so different and there are so many possible programs it would be a programming nightmare.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users